2 (Reader POV)

I woke with a start, flinching from something falling to the ground. I sat up from the couch, tiredly shifting my eyes to Soma, who picked up a chair with his leg. His coat wrapped around him as he pulled it on, his stoic eyes turning to me from over his shoulder. "About time you woke up..."

"I wonder, how you woke up before me, when I was the first to sleep this time?" I yawned, a tired, amused smile on my face. I felt my neck, an ache coming on from sleeping badly on it. I adjusted my shirt, my chest nearly developed from years of growth. Soma has also grown taller, more muscled... Makes me blush each time at how much more handsome he's become too at only sixteen. 

Soma huffed in response, turning away to the door. "I'm leaving."

"Wait, you're leaving already?" I hurried after him as he approached the elevator door, pressing a button. Words spread out yesterday about Lindow becoming the leader of his unit. Supposedly there will be less casualties due to his leadership. Sakuya had also joined a while ago, the first unit was indeed a team of exceptional God eaters. "I heard Lindow is pretty well acknowledge around here. I wonder how he managed defeat an ouroboros all by himself..."

"I don't care." Soma muttered as he got in the elevator. I followed after him, watching him carefully. He's grown more annoyed over the years, but he spoke more, which was good. "As long as they stay out of my way..."

"Yeah yeah, and if they don't want to die, they have to stay out of your way too." I rolled my eyes. When Soma glared at my teasing, I merely moved closer and rested my head on his shoulder. To this day, he has not pushed me away. Upon arriving at the Den's entrance, Soma approached the supervisor, who was Lindow's sister now. "Hello Tsubaki!"

"(Y/n), good to see you. Soma, you have another mission to go on your own. Accept the mission from Hibari." She motioned to the girl at the her desk, typing away.

I followed Soma, after briefly waving to her and watched him accept his mission. Hibari gave him some instructions as I looked towards the screens behind me. The outer ghetto had lost some people after the attack a few days ago. It made me frown.

"...Out of the way." I gasped when Soma gently shoved me aside. He looked irritated. "I'm leaving, go somewhere instead of just sitting there doing nothing."

"I'm not doing nothing, I'm waiting for you to come back. Do come back safely." I gave him a sweet smile as he readied himself before the elevator. He grunted, closing his eyes to avoid my cheerful gaze. Once the elevator had taken him away, I sat at the lounge, like I've done all these years past.

Tsubaki noticed this, and placed a drink at the table beside me. "Here."

"Ah, thank you!" I happily accepted the ration.

"You're always waiting for him, I'm glad Soma has someone like you to look after him." Tsubaki said as she adjusted the clipboard in her hand. "Soma has opened up a little, from what I've noticed over the years, thanks to you."

"I'm only being there for him..." I murmured, opening the can. A silent smile covered my face. We've always been together, "I decided to stay by his side, no matter what."

"That's good, keep at it." She smiled before going back to work. I drank the ration, watching the elevator like always, waiting for Soma to return. Despite Soma recently asking me to stop doing this, he has yet taken an aggressive approach. Secretly, I knew he didn't mind someone constantly waiting for him to come back, like a family member would. Speaking of family, the director had been sending Soma on missions searching for a specific core of an aragami. My grip on the can tightened a little. Soma has been going out more, barely taking breaks.

When he finally returned, it was nearly evening. I was sleeping peacefully with a blanket over my shoulders. Hibari glanced at him as he came out the elevator. "Welcome back. (Y/n) has been waiting for you again. She even fell asleep..." She said as she looked towards me.

"Tch, I told her to stop..." Soma walked over to my form, staring down at my tired state. He glared softly, hearing me murmur in my sleep. He then reached out to carry me, careful not to wake me up. Hibari watched with wide eyes as he carried me back to his room. When he placed me over his bed, he scowled. "Beds exist for a reason, why did you stay out there?"

I slept peacefully despite his words, snuggling the blanket closer. He sighed, moving to lay beside me. His arms rested beneath his head when eventually, he felt me shift closer to him. He closed his eyes, listening to the low rhythm of my calm breathing. It always put him at ease. In the back of his mind, he remembered always being put to bed with you after his father would work long hours. His father... He scowled once again. He's been going on missions, searching for a unique aragami with a core that he desperately needed for the ark project. He let out a long sigh, feeling me press closer against him. He was used to me doing this in my sleep, not that he ever minded. The warm comfort helped with his loneliness. With that in mind, he fell to a dreamless sleep.