Aris looked over her shoulder and saw a girl standing in the doorway, moving forward at Fields’ nod. The girl took the seat beside Aris and smiled politely, before she turned to Mrs. Fields and greeted her.

“Aris,” Mrs. Fields smiled, “this is Evea Outlaw; Evea this is Aris Goode, the girl I’ve been telling you about.” The girls mumbled courteous greetings to Fields delight. “Aris, Evea is a part of the Action Team with Volunteers of America which was created to get young people involved in their communities. I want you to join the program with her.”

Aris looked from Fields to the girl, Evea. She was short with a bust and curves Aris had given up hope on a year before, her skin bronzed and ridden with dark freckles, her face chubby with youth. She had big hazel eyes that shone with innocence and a hint of something darker beneath her wavy chocolate brown hair that reached the middle of her back. A small polite toothless smile that didn’t reach her eyes played on her thin pink lips as she looked at Aris expectantly.

“Mrs. Fields, I’m touched that you care so much about my future, but I don’t think that I’ll be able to do this,” Aris frowned.

            “Oh Aris, it’s a wonderful program,” Evea smiled. “The Action Team is partnered with the Major League Baseball Players Trust and together we work to set up events in our community. Last year we were responsible for the barbeque and drive in movie in the early fall.”

            “That all sounds great,” Aris nodded politely as she rose from her seat ready to get out of the office, “but I really don’t think that this is the thing for me. I promise to visit more and talk to you about my future and stuff but I really have to get back to class.” Aris turned to leave but Fields called out to her.

“Aris, sit down.” The teenage sighed but complied. Mrs. Fields looked at her gravely, “It really does pain me to have to do this but if you won’t do this because I ask then I’ll just have to force you.” Before Aris could comment she went on, “I know you’re friends with Reece Vann. I also know that he currently has marijuana on his person and if you don’t do what I ask I’m fully prepared to report him and he’ll receive a possession charge.”

Aris’ had to physically keep her mouth from dropping in completely disbelief, not because she didn’t believe her about Reece, but because she would hang something like that over her head. Reece had been one of the few people she befriended in the school the year before and they had become very close since. Aris sat silently staring at her counselor trying to determine whether or not she was bluffing. After a minute of debating she decided the risk was too great to take and sighed, “Fine, I’ll do it.”

“Excellent!” Fields exclaimed.

Aris stood suddenly annoyed by her counselor and her antics. She looked from her counselor to the girl she was going to be stuck with for the rest of the year. Aris decided then and there, staring at Evea she would destroy her.

“Aris!” Reece cried with open arms and a large toothy smile from his seat at the wooden lunch table. He stood as she neared and prepared for a hug but was taken aback when she grabbed him by the ear and pulled hard. “Hey!” he cried angrily as he tried to pull away.

Aris pulled harder bringing his ear to her lips. “Are you fucking carrying?” she growled quietly into his ear.

“Yeah, why?” he replied confused. Aris let go of the boy’s ear and punched him hard in the shoulder causing another flare in his temper. “What the fuck is wrong with you?!” he growled rubbing his soon to be bruised shoulder.

“Because of fucking you I have to spend the rest of the fucking year volunteering!” Aris exclaimed angrily punching her friend again in the other shoulder.