What? Chiba thought. Splitting the group is the worst possible thing you could do! You can't leave her to die! What are you thinking, Karasuma?

Chiba glanced at Karasuma as he ran alongside the older man. Their guns were loaded and ready, but they encountered no one until about halfway down a narrow hallway.

A group of three men stepped out of a room about twenty feet ahead of them and aimed their guns. They looked practically joyous to be able to kill off three government agents.

I don't think so, thought Chiba. Just as one of them was going to pull the trigger and imbed a chunk of lead into Chiba's brain, Cara sent a flurry of bullets into the man's heart. Chiba made up for his hesitation by taking out another man. Karasuma finished off the last one with no injuries besides a scraped ear from where a bullet grazed him.

Chiba heard gunshots in the distance and a high pitched scream. He felt panic flood his senses. Hayami!

"This side is almost clear. Keep moving, then we go after Karma's group," Karasuma ordered.

There were no more people waiting for Karasuma's squad on the right side, so they doubled back to the stairwell.

The arrived at the cold metal stairs and found a mess waiting for them. The first thing Chiba noticed was blood. Bright, thick, metallic smelling blood that scattered the floor and was poring out through Hayami's fingers as she clutched her shoulder. The bullet appeared to have gone all the way through, so that wasn't much of an issue. Luckily her arm would still work because of where the bullet hole was located, but it would definitely hurt.

Chiba gritted his teeth and began helping Cara treat it the best they could while Karasuma and Alex took watch. Karma was preoccupied with reloading and cleaning the weapons.

Hayami's POV.

Ever wanted to know what getting shot feels like? Pure agony. It's definitely no picnic.

Hayami bit down hard on one of her leather gloves while Chiba and Cara tended to the wound. They cleaned it first, then started stitching it up in a hurry. Compared to the pain of pouring straight rubbing alcohol onto an open wound, the needle piercing her skin and sewing it shut felt like a cool, relieving pain.

Chiba delicately wrapped up the wound. He cupped her face in her hands and gave her a weak smile. "You'll be able to shoot still. Also, I think Karasuma is going to end up hanging your ass. You disobeyed an order."

Karasuma piped in, "That's right! I specifically told you not to get shot, Hayami. Now look at us, we're vulnerable and way behind schedule."

Hayami's face burned red with embarrassment. "I'm sorry, Sir. It won't happen again."

"It'd better not. I can guarantee you that you won't be as lucky if there is a next time."

Hayami nodded and stood up, testing her wounded shoulder. Every time she moved her arm, burning fire rushed through her veins and nerves, causing her to wince. Cara had given her some pain relievers earlier, but they only took the slightest edge off.

She eased her backpack on while biting her lip, and Karma handed back her guns with a smirk. Then, they headed off again towards the next set of stairs.

The base of the steps was empty, and there wasn't a single sound around besides the soldier's footsteps and Hayami's heart. She wasn't sure if anyone else could hear it beating as loud and fast as it was.

This time, the path opened up into a large hallway that branched off into other smaller hallways and rooms. Everyone in the squad was on high alert, their eyes darting around for the first signals of a threat. Only when they reached the middle of the hallway did the enemies appear before them.

The squad stopped dead and stared at the new group, guns aimed high. The cartel members all wore creepy grins and had the same thirst for blood in their eyes. They handled their guns with care, pointing them at the small military squad.

Hayami wished that the enemies were speaking rather than just glaring; the pure hate and malice in their eyes was enough to surpass any amount of words to describe it. Surely any combination of words would be kinder than their cold eyes.

Suddenly, Hayami felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. She turned quickly to pinpoint the disturbance and found herself and her squad staring at a second group of cartel members, only these ones were wielding knives and brass knuckles and spiked baseball bats. Weapons far worse and agonizing than a swift gun.

Hayami felt dread and fear come crashing down on her, causing her knees to feel weak. She stood as firmly as possible nonetheless and stared at the two groups of criminals.

They were completely surrounded.