² WHITEWASH.

WHITEWASH SOMETHING ⋟ To cover up or gloss over faults or wrong doings. ₎

   "You're not a boy."

   It's not Harvey's best opening statement, but it's the first thing that comes to mind anyway. He'd waltzed past the reception of The Journal fully prepared to make an offer; strong-arm, if needed; the man with the most cutthroat opinions in the editorial page.

   Instead, he was greeted by a girl with a head of voluminous curls and the attention span of a goldfish.

   Alex Greene doesn't invite Harvey in to his office. She doesn't even look up at him, not even after his crude comment. Harvey watches, mildly impressed, as she balances her mobile on her shoulder, with her right hand typing in to her laptop and her left signing off papers. She sounds as if she's in the midst of an argument; the call ends once she declares "Keep your damn tip to yourself, then" and snaps her phone shut with a flourish.

   Then she looks up at Harvey, the most impatient expression on her face. 

   "Mr. Specter, as you can see, I'm a very busy person," Alex deadpans. "As I am sure you are."

   "Let me cut to the chase then." Harvey says, smile tugging at his mouth already. He moves in to the woman's workplace and gestures to the seat across her. "If you're in such a hurry, then you can say your piece standing up." Alex says with a leveled voice. "I like you already," Harvey replies cheekily. Harvey pulls himself to his full height and slides a piece of paper across Alex's table. "Ms. Greene, I'm in need of a quid pro quo."

   Alex keeps her green eyes on Harvey's face, not even sparing a glance at the paper. The inquisitive way she surveys Harvey would have been unnerving, had Harvey been any less audacious. "You want some good publicity for your firm." Alex decides. "And you're coming to me, because . . ."

   "You're the best." Harvey says plainly. This makes Alex grin in the slightest. "Which I'm sure you've told all the other journalists who've turned you down." she shoots back. She stands and Harvey is amused to find her at least a head smaller, yet still so damn confident. "Do you know why there's absolutely nothing about me on the Internet, Mr. Specter?" 

   "I can't say I've looked." (Which is a half truth, of course. Harvey got Donna to do some research and she came up a list of journalists to go after; Alex Greene's name had been highlighted with Donna's signature pastel Stabilo, and the Post-It attached had proclaimed 'No bio wherever.')

   "It's because men and their fragile egos would much rather take the opinion of an 'Alex' than an 'Alexandria'."

   It takes Harvey a moment to realize that she's making an underhanded jab at him. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." he drawls. Alex raises an eyebrow at the movie quote. "You know the way out, Mr. Specter." she says curtly as she settles back in to her seat. "I'm not in the business of whitewashing your firm's mistakes."

   Harvey shrugs. "Say you'll consider it?" he says, nodding towards his offer.

   "I can't say I care much for your offer. I earn enough without your help," Alex chirps. A corner of her mouth tugs upward as she throws back a quote from the movie Harvey had referred to. "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again."

   It's a phenomenal end to a first conversation. (Even with her turning down his overture.) Harvey would be lying if he said he wasn't thrown; he doesn't let on, though, and instead walks out of the building with his pride intact.

   Donna is still number one on speed dial. The moment he calls, she already knows what he needs her to do.