4

Day 5
The day I took Saffron Walters on a date.

You wore a beautiful little red summer dress that day and your hair neatly pulled back into a ponytail. Though you looked amazing, I couldn't help but notice your smile as the first feature coming into my sight.

When I met you at your front door, you timidly wandered over to greet me with a shy hug. But you didn't realise just how perfect that small moment was, for the first time I held you within my arms and it was the first time anything ever made sense.

As we made our way to the little place I had arranged for us, you began tapping along with your fingers to the beat of the music in my car. You smiled to yourself, wanting to sing along but too embarrassed to do so.

I was always the sucker for first dates, I knew nothing about them and I never was the best with the imaginative side: that was all you. I didn't really know where else to take us but to the fair that came to town for a few days.

You were mesmerised by the bright lights and flashing scenery. I remember you turning to me for the first time since we arrived there and you gave me the biggest smile you had ever worn. It was then that I knew – unlike the others, that this one wasn't forced.

I thought you'd be afraid of all the rides and perhaps refused to go on most, but just like every day that I have grown to know you: you surprised me once again.

After watching you have the time of your life and scream and laugh at every second that passed, we took a little walk down the pier.

We sat right down the bottom of it as we took our shoes off and let our feet hang off the edge. You thanked me for an amazing night and for the best one since your arrival in this new town.

After conversing for a while, your gaze switched out across the sea and you appeared so stunned by the moon across the water.

You told me how you've never experience a sight more beautiful than this.

Sitting beside you and watching your hair blow in the cool, night, air with the breath-taking smile and your eyes glowing from something you loved to see: I couldn't have agreed more with you.

Day 5, the day Saffron Walters told me she felt alive for the first time in a while.