You're Trish!

You’re Trish!

I could hear the rustling of feet as I groaned in bed, trying to remember what happened yesterday and why I felt so giddy this early in the morning.

It was something about waffles. I think.

Nothing made me any happier than waffles especially since I could remember I was feeling so down yesterday.

Someone knocked on the door. I had no strength yet to open it. The person behind it must have known because he or she opened the door even before I could tell them to.

It was my mom.

“This came in for you just a moment ago.” She handed me a thick, fancy envelope filled with patterns and beautiful hand writing on the front. It was for a party at Grandma’s mansion.

I sat up and reached for it. Great. What now?

I opened the envelope to reveal an invitation to a midnight gala that was to be held tonight.

She must have been planning this for weeks. So why just give me an invite now?

“It’s not from my mother.” My mom re-read the envelope that I threw away.

I scanned the invite as to who the party hosts were.

I found a watermark near my Grandma’s logo.

It was from the Alicia Russell.

“Mom, did you get one too?” I asked as I was mentally planning my outfit for tonight. Sadly, I was short of anything to wear for a midnight gala.

She shook her head. “The butler told me it was only for a few selected guests. No one seemed to enjoy partying at midnight and only a few people called in to confirm their seats.”

“Is this it?” I raised the invite to my mother’s face. Usually, a gown came with an invite from my grandmother.

She rolled her eyes and took out a box from my closet. “You know my mother all too well.” She opened it to reveal a beautiful ivory gown.

It looked expensive. I was afraid to touch it.

“Go try it on.” My mom told me as she scooped the gown into her hands and handed it over to me. I was careful not to step on it as I entered the bathroom. I always made special requests for gowns like this. Grandmother has agreed to a few rules I made about dresses. The zipper should always be at the side. It should not have any form of lace on it. It should not have ruffles. She also agreed to let me choose my own shoes to wear on every occasion I was invited too. She trusted me enough on footwear.

After zipping myself up, I studied my reflection in the mirror. I couldn’t recognize myself. The ivory highlighted my alabaster skin, making it become more… what’s the word mom used? Ah, yes. Radiant.

I stepped out of the bathroom and my mom surveyed me. Her lips slowly turned into a smile.

“What do you think?” I asked her. She took my hand in hers and spun me around slowly, taking in every detail of the dress.

“Your grandmother has certainly outdone herself this time.” She smiled.

I was giddy again.

And this time, I was sure it wasn’t because of the waffles.

Hunter walked me home last night. I could finally remember why I was so giddy yesterday. He asked me if he could give us another chance and I had agreed. The twins were making kissing noises as we left their house.

Hunter had kissed me. On the cheek.

For a quarterback, he wasn’t acting how I imagined he would act at all. He was acting like the old Hunter. The Hunter I missed the most. I thought that side of him was gone. He proved me wrong.