Chapter 7

Wow! I finally updated The Mist's Heiress! I felt accomplished!! I know it's a bit short, and I haven't write for a while, so it might be a bit rusty!! But thank you for reading =D 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Shit.' Deveraux cursed. How could he responded such calmly? My heart was set into panic mode. Don't make me go back! Sister Judith was no longer in her black robe, instead, she wore a really silky leather suit and her blonde hair, for once, hung loosely on her shoulders. She fixed a lethal gaze at us, yet her mouth was set into an amusing, sadistic grin. The alpha stayed protectively at her side, ready to pounce at any threat. It was obvious that she was the pack leader, and she had the alpha male on her invisible leash. 

Thousands of questions once again bombarded my fragile mind. How did Sister Judith get associated with a hellhound? 

'Are you planning on hiding in the car forever ?' Sister Judith's voice addressed a tensed Deveraux. Leaving the keys in the ignition, he opened the car door and motioned us to get out. 

'What the hell are you doing? It's the dog! You can't just go out without a plan, a weapon, without anything!' Auric debated furiously but Deveraux didn't even spare him a glance. 

'Then what would you suggest?' 

Deveraux replied coldly. Auric eyed them through the screen, but he followed Deveraux's instructions and eventually dragged himself out of the car. I heard my door open, and a firm yet gentle voice sounded. 

'Misty?'

 I fixed my eyes on the hands extended in front of me and took it without any thoughts. My mind was overloaded, I failed to process anything. 

Sister Judith flashed us a satisfied smile. 'Good, very good.' she purred as she stroke the alpha on his neck. 'You do realize that running is not an option right now?' She smirked. I couldn't tear away my gaze from this diverse version of Sister Judith. She seemed perhaps even more lethal than before, and I doubt any member of the congregation would wear such a skimpy outfit. Despite how dangerous the situation might be, Deveraux managed to bark out a laugh. 

'Always the drama queen Lily. You never changed.' Sister Judith, or Lily, rolled her eyes in annoyance. 

'Don't tell me you're still pissed that I burned your wife on a stake in front of her own clan? Yes, I could've killed her off quickly by, let's say, driving a knife through her heart, but where is the fun in that? If He was not that worried, I would have ordered my boys to tear her apart first. Skin. By. Skin.' 

We all gasped. Deveraux's fist clenched in fury, I could hear the sound of his knuckles popping. Auric had a look of terror in his eyes, I had a baffled expression on my face. Sister Judith might be horrifying, but she was not psycho. 

That's it! She is a psycho! And not some kind of freak who owns hellhounds, right? So, Deveraux could just lay back and call the cops, get her arrested. That is perfectly logical, yet my logical mind wouldn't back down. So you're mental too, seemingly you can see the abnormal-sized dog. Well, there's that. 

Auric nudged me and I turned to face him, only to have him signaling me to look at Deveraux. Not good, so not good. Deveraux's expression was no longer teasing, instead it was furious, and his eyes were red, blood red. I yelped at the monstrous sight, Auric instantly hovered over me. 

'Sshh...' He rubbed my hands. 'His-His eyes...Did you see it???' I stuttered. Auric snuck a glance at Deveraux but was totally confused. 'See what?' I looked back at Deveraux and his eyes were still burning red. It doesn't make sense. My mind is just playing tricks on me, it's nothing, it's nothing. 

'Ahh....Misty....I expected more from you.' I stiffened when Sister Judith turned her attention to me and Auric instinctively stood in front of me in a protective stance. I pressed my shaking palm on his back and urge him to move aside so I could stare at her in her eyes. I would not show any sign of cowardice. 

'What do you want from me?' My voice came out in a hoarse whisper. Sister Judith rolled her eyes in annoyance and scolded. 'You know how I hate the mumbling. What? Have you forgotten all the beatings and lashes on your back?'

'What?' Auric turned to me, confused, and my mouth went dry trying to come up with words to explain, to answer. But Auric was faster, he lifted the hem of my shirt and instantly spotted the scars. My wounds healed quickly, but they left hideous marks on my back. Auric and Deveraux eyes darkened as they basked in the sight of my back, crisscrossed with thread-like markings. The red in Deveraux's eyes glowed fiercer.

But Sister Judith gazed at us proudly. 'One of my most beautiful art work, quite an accomplishment I would say, too bad she will suffer the same fate as her mother!' With that last note, she motioned the alpha to strike and Deveraux sprung forward at the same time. 

Deveraux was no match for a monster.

My hands clutched Auric's as I watched the scene unfold in front of us. The big black monstrosity was biting its way into Deveraux's neck, snarling and growling as it attacked him. Yet despite being ten times larger than Deveraux, he managed to match the Alpha's pace and was viciously counter attacking the hound. 

Sister Judith's smile faltered as she witnessed Deveraux weakening her Alpha, but I know she was not one to retreat. When Deveraux managed to deliver a painful blow into the Alpha's gut and it led out an agonizing howl, Sister Judith started to chant and all of a sudden, black smoke started to rise from the Earth, suffocating us with its stench, the smoke smelled like rotten flesh.

Deveraux delivered a lethal blow to the Alpha's neck and it snapped, its eyes lolled open and black liquid trickled down its face. Kicking the body aside, he advanced onto Lily's unguarded form, but in that spurt of moment, the black smoke took form and enveloped his body in a strong grasp. 

Deveraux tried to pry free of the black fist but to no avail, he struggled against the strong hold, fighting his way to break free.

Suddenly, there was a horrifying bone crunching sound and the black smoke disappeared.

Deveraux fell onto the ground. 

His eyes closed, blood trickled down his mouth.

Dead. 

I screamed.