Chapter Fifty Three

Start from the beginning

"She's right. James wouldn't just go around acting all distant and lonesome for no reason." Sirius agreed, "So who knows?"

Asteria bit down on her bottom lip before replying, "He flew over the stands to chase after the snitch, right? Well one of our beaters called Daryl went over too, along with... Regulus. They were there when Regulus caught the snitch and James landed on the floor."

Sirius opened his mouth to reply but didn't know what to say. The last encounter he'd had with his brother had been in the Forbidden Forest. That was when him and his dark, slimy friends tried to kill Asteria - not that anyone had yet figured out what the spell Avery had cast was.

"Reg...He wouldn't know the truth even if it smacked him across the face." Sirius muttered bitterly.

Remus stepped forwards, "I'll go get Peter and we'll find Regulus and Daryl. Peter and I will question them both and find out what happened. That way you don't have to face your brother and you can both go to Hogsmeade."

"You know, Moony, this is why I'm friends with you." Sirius smirked, stringing his arm around Asteria's shoulders.

"Because I do favours for you?" Remus frowned.
"Charming." Asteria added.

"That was meant to be a compliment. Whatever. Let's go." Sirius sighed, turning Asteria around from Remus and leading her away.

"Do you think this is a good idea?" Asteria asked as they made their way down the path away from Hogwarts.
"What do you mean?" Sirius asked, zipping up his jacket.
Asteria turned to him as they continued to walk, "I mean... Don't you want to talk to Regulus? To find out what might or might not have happened."

Sirius tucked his hands into his pockets and Asteria linked arms with him, "I don't want to talk to my brother. Of course, I'm worried about Prongs but if I were to talk to... To my brother then I think it would go off topic quickly."

"Alright." She shrugged in response, "Where do you want to go first?"
"It's a bit cold. The Three Broomsticks?" Sirius suggested, holding Asteria's arm close to him.
She smiled and nodded in response.

The warmth of the pub was welcoming as they strode inside, sheltering from the harsh winds that knifed their ankles in the winter storm. The pub was aglow with life and laughter as the smell of butter beer and smouldering fires filled their noses.

"Do you want to grab a table?" Sirius suggested as he pulled a few coins out of his pocket.

The only table actually empty in the bustling pub was the one situated in the far corner, where the only three chairs that remained were positioned so they looked out to the rest of the room. Asteria sat down, perching on the end of her teetering stool as she fiddled with her fingers and awkwardly waited.

"Two butter beers." Sirius planted the glasses down on the table and sat down beside her, the two of them staring out at other people coming and going.

A rather slender, young wizard stumbled in through the door. He appeared to be several years older but appeared somewhat nervous as he glanced around. The wizard in question was wearing an enormous purple hat that must have been about two foot in height. It balanced on his head, swaying dangerously to the side every time someone opened the door. His nose protruded rather harshly from his face and his frame was drowned in an almost mustard-yellow robe that trailed on the floor, the lining of it was coated in mud and grass.

"I dare you to go and knock his hat off." chuckled Sirius quietly, leaning in towards Asteria.

Asteria shook her head with a small smile, "I don't know what you're talking about."
"Oh yeah you do. You know exactly who I'm talking about."
"This pub is packed with people, I don't know who you're on about." She shrugged.
Sirius smirked, "Don't lie. You know who."