Chapter Sixty

The sound of not-so-distant howling sent a terrifying shiver down Sirius' spine

Remus was out.

Frozen in his spot, Sirius felt all of the colour drain from his face. There was no possible way that this was going to end well, and this was only the beginning. In an instant, the boy had morphed into his animagus from and was barrelling after James, deeper and deeper into the forbidden forest. Within a couple of minutes he heard the sound of conversation up ahead and a small white hummingbird whipped past his ear and shot in front of her through the trees.

"Ria!" Sirius hissed, staggering back to his human feet and nervously gripping the trees as he continued to stumble forwards. That's when he caught sight of the Slytherin girl, crouched on the ground beside James and both concealed behind large tree roots. Slowly, Sirius knelt down and crawled towards them, watching the clearing ahead.

There was a small, open space between the trees where a slither of moonlight managed to break through the vegetation to illuminate the floor.

Astoria glanced to her side to spot Sirius. The three Gryffindor students were huddled in the centre of the space all talking quietly between each other. Filch was pacing several metres away from them and muttering under his breath as Mrs. Norris weaved between his legs. Asteria reached for his arm and pointed ahead to the edge of the clearing where several dark silhouettes could be made out.

"That's them." Sirius' eyes widened in realisation.

Asteria glanced over at her two companions, "What do we do? Remus might be here soon." she warned.
James hesitated, "We can see the Death Eaters there. I don't think we should wait for them to make the first move; someone could get hurt."

"Wait... You called Moony, didn't you?" Sirius turned to Asteria with concern.
She grimaced, "I was hoping that hearing a howl would scare everyone off but apparently not. At least we can always use our animagus forms to control Remus if all hell breaks loose."

Sirius let out an exasperated sigh and ran his hand through his hair before turning to James,  "Probably better than anything we would've done." James reasoned.

Grumbling, Sirius reached into his pocket to pull out his wand.

"Who's there?" Filch whipped around to face their general direction and narrowed his eyes, "Better not be those ruddy sixth years!" he called out. The three Gryffindors also froze, moving quickly to shelter behind Filch.

Asteria inhaled sharply as her grip on Sirius' arm tightened, "Wh... at... do we do?" she whispered.
"I've lost sight of the Death Eaters." James panicked.

Leaning forward, Asteria silently pushed out her wand and whispered "Relashio." The jinx caused Filch to fly away from the lamp he had been holding. It smashed on the floor as he landed in a heap on the ground.