Urgency dominating, she swam downwards. The creatures hadn't noticed her yet. It was clear that they were speaking to him, but every word was obstructed by the water. Their hair, the same color as their bodies, fanned out around them, which only made her view of him worse. They were swimming much too fast for her to catch up, but, luckily, the floor of the pool was in sight.

Her fear grew when she saw a few come out from an opening towards the back of the pool. Spears were in their hands. Cursing, she tried to move her legs quicker. Already, though, she could feel her own breath fading. Dirt and rocks started to be thrown around on the base. Tarhuinn was still struggling. (F/n) caught a glimpse of hands holding his jaw shut.

Kicking her legs faster, she neared the bottom. As one reached out to help in restraining him, she extended out her free hand and tugged harshly on their hair. A loud cry resonated under the water. She forced herself not to cover her ears so that she could hold onto the dagger. (F/n) made her strike as strong as she could since she could waste no time in attacking.

Realistically, she stood no chance against the swarm of merfolk, but she couldn't let them skewer Tarhuinn. She had to do her best and get him out of the situation. Her attack did little to stop the other mermaids and mermen. It only caused the one that she had gained the attention of to reveal its razor sharp teeth while its completely cerulean eyes shone with amusement.

Vision of that particular mermaid vanished as a force collided with her right side. It knocked the remaining breath from her and her dagger for that matter. The blade sank to the floor while her attacker swam by. A merman and mermaid gripped her arms, but their efforts to detain her meant little. Her air was gone. She was beginning to drown.

Arms thrashed, her side ached, and her vision faded. She called out to Tarhuinn or tried to at least. Her struggling grew weaker until it halted completely. From amidst the throng of merfolk, Tarhuinn saw the condition of his wife. His attention no longer focused on the creatures around him. When his view of her disappeared, his fury grew. A thunderous cry exited his lips, and the water reverberated.

For a split moment, it had loosened the grips on him. He forced his way through the merfolk and darted for her. Spears instantly pointed at him and some were thrown. Dodging the attacks, he knocked some of the weapons aside and clashed against (f/n). The two of them tumbled through the water. Her head was pressed to his chest when the next impact occurred. His head struck one of the larger rocks under the water, sending his own vision into despair. Merfolk surrounded them as things receded from sight.

Spear tips were pointed at them while discussions broke out among the species. Some attempted to pull the couple apart, but they received no luck. Tarhuinn wasn't unconscious yet, and he wouldn't let them touch her again. He needed to get her air, but darkness was encroaching upon his vision. His grip on her was already growing weaker.

With a few more harsh tugs, they were separated. He wished to cry out, but his voice fell flat. His limbs hung beside him, and the world left him. He only hoped that at least she would make it out of this. Everything remained a mystery to him until cold stone greeted him.

His breathing was rough. He could tell that his feet were barely touching water. The entirety of his body felt immensely exhausted. It was as though he were breathing in the dirt. Moving his fingers slightly, his skin rubbed against the stone. Tarhuinn wished to push himself up and examine his surroundings better, but he had no stamina to execute such a simple action.

Even opening his eyes was strenuous. It was as though he were pushing against a great boulder. Vision returned to him steadily, but no sound greeted his ears. Slowly, he lifted his head up. Immediately, it fell back to the rock. A groan of pain left his lips, but he hadn't lost consciousness again. In that moment, he saw that he was in a cave. His feet were barely touching the miniature pool in the area. To make matters worse, he noted that there were several merfolk in the larger pool. Spears were in all of their hands.

Why had they kept him alive, though? He had thought that they had wished to kill him back there. They could've easily succeeded. Right now, however, he should be grateful that he was still breathing. (F/n) could be alive, and he needed to get to her. She wasn't in the space with him. Due to his condition, he couldn't summon the ability to even ask where she was or if she was alive.

Several days ago, he had just gotten her back from that mage. Now, she was gone again. Presently, he wished that he had never agreed to take her on this journey. He never suspected that they would face so many great dangers. Truly, he had thought that only the authors and later their mage would be their only concerns. A part of him voiced that such thoughts were foolish and that this journey was worth the risk. They just had to get around this obstacle. Then, he could spend a longer life with his beloved.

Focusing on the more positive notes, he managed to turn his head towards the guards. Their gazes were pinned to him before they whispered among themselves. One of them went under the water and presumably left. He attempted to question about (f/n)'s location even though he knew that it was pointless. His lips moved gradually, but no sound left him.

One of the guards, however, responded, "The human's alive. Whether you see her again or not will be decided soon enough. You, kelremm, should've stayed far away from here. This territory isn't for the likes of your abhorring kind."