Chapter 4 - R.I.P.

Start from the beginning

He put an entire squad of bodyguards on me, calling me “the most important weapon” in his organization. I had masters of many different fighting styles who taught me to harden my body and sharpen my mind. For the first few months, they tried to break me and almost succeeded. However, I pushed through and quickly grew stronger than them.

Once my training was complete, Luc sent me here. He said that it’d be safer for me. I didn’t understand that. I hadn’t come across anyone who could fight me on equal terms in over a year, so I resisted. He assured me that I’d come back as soon as the threat was gone, but to be honest...I wanted the fight. Let my assassin come for me, I thought. What could he do?

So, here I am. Drinking beer and watching a game that I don’t give a shit about. I tossed my drink at the TV and jumped out of the chair. Three of my guards ran into the room, ready to fight off an intruder.

“Yo, guys...chill out. It’s just me,” I said, shaking my head. “I’m going out for a walk. I’m feeling restless.”

They moved out of the door frame and let me pass. I turned back and warned them, “If you guys try to follow me, I’ll kill you. I don’t give a fuck what your orders are.”

Their bodies stiffened with fear, knowing how brutal I could be. It’d only been a few days since I killed one of them for looking through my backpack. I’d warned him a few times to stop putting his dirty little fingers in my things, but he didn’t listen. So, I disarmed him, tossing his gun to the side, and dragged him outside. It was there that I put my fist through his rib cage. It cut up my hand a bit, but it won me some privacy again.

As I stepped into the humid summer air, I was greeted by the smell of food. It was coming from the diner, so I crossed the street and seated myself in the lone empty booth. The waitress that approached was short and chubby, but not totally unattractive. She flashed a big smile and asked if I wanted to start out with a drink.

“Sure. Pepsi. And if you can just bring me a double cheeseburger with fries, that’d be cool.”

I had never really been interested in the opposite sex. Maybe one day, but my life was too insane to give a shit about something so petty. That never really stopped them from pursuing me, though. Fan girls in the town I grew up in drew pictures of me, always highlighting my shaggy brown hair and bright blue eyes. They’d draw exaggerated pictures of me shirtless, making me look like some steroid freak. It was a bit embarrassing, to be honest.

The waitress giggled just as I expected her to and ran back to the kitchen to relay my order. I pulled out my cell phone and started flipping through the scores of the day’s games, just to pass the time, but something else caught my eye. Or should I say...someone.

A girl dressed in all black entered the diner. The look in her eyes was the same as a cat - dangerous, mysterious, and a bit intimidating. Her hair was long and black with bright streaks of blue and she moved with the grace of a dancer. I was intoxicated with intrigue.

She flashed her brown eyes up and down the row of booths, looking at the food on each table. She opened the door again and yelled to someone outside. Finally, she turned and walked toward me, taking a seat at my table right across from me.

For the first time in my life, I felt like a normal kid. My heart was racing and I am pretty sure I stopped breathing for a moment. “Hey,” was all I could muster.

She nodded at me, “Mind if my friends and I sit here? It looks like all the good tables are taken.”

“No, it’s fine. I’m Rip.”

“Rip?” She asked with amusement in her tone. “I’m Melody. So what’s good here?”

“Uhh, I - well, I usually just get a cheeseburger.” In truth, it was my first time in the diner, but the bodyguards would make frequent trips here to get me food. I couldn’t tell her that, though. It’d be hard to explain.