Chapter 1 - The Twins

The Twins - Chapter 1

Watching the twins at work was like watching an artist painting his masterpiece. They were so artful and dedicated to their craft that it inspired an old man like me to hold off my retirement. Truth be told, they’ve made me feel twenty years younger in spirit. Truly, it’s a thing of beauty.

Kiara’s knife moved like a saw across the prisoner’s pinky finger. She stopped halfway through the bone and left it there. A wicked smile crossed her face as the man’s screams grew louder. She gripped the man’s hair and tightened it in her hand, forcing his head toward her eyes so he could see her madness.

The room was dark, but a faint ray of daylight gave just enough light for the twins to work. The twins were always in control, knowing exactly what circumstances would benefit them in their mission and how to avoid unfavorable situations. Their genius was just perfect. I wish I could say that I was the cause, but they’ve outshone me since we first came together. I learned more from watching them than I had in my entire life.

Kiara and her twin sister Melody were barely eighteen years old, but they exuded the strongest sex appeal and murderous intent that I’d ever seen - even more so when they were working. They walked and talked like they were fully matured adults and it helped that they looked the part, too.

Melody was the more childish of the two, constantly playing pranks on anyone stupid enough to fall for them. She had bright blue hair that often changed colors depending on her mood. She was slightly taller than her sister and not quite as filled out. She was very skinny, but the look in her eyes was always one of two things: Sex or Murder. Sometimes both.

At the age of twelve, she lured a mafia boss away from his bodyguards, seduced him, and then removed his balls before slitting his throat. It was an incredibly horrific act, but if you’ve been in the assassination business as long as I have, you’d respect the art.

Kiara was always serious - almost as if a genuine smile would kill her. Her jet black hair had never been dyed, but was as dark as a moonless night. Like Melody, Kiara excelled in the art of seduction at a young age. The difference between them was clear, though. Kiara didn’t have to say a single word to her victim. A simple glance would win his heart. Her body would easily be mistaken for that of a woman by the time she hit puberty. And now...now it’s not even fair. I find it hard to say no to her or do anything that might cause her disappointment. It’s something I can’t really explain.

As for me, I’m Jake. The girls were matched with me when they were only nine years old. I’d never had partners before, so I wasn’t happy when our boss made the decision, but they won me over quickly.

It was only supposed to be a temporary arrangement until the twins learned the ins and outs of assassination, but we clicked so well that it became permanent. There were some growing pains between us, but I became sort of a surrogate father to them. As they grew, I began to realize that I loved them. Maybe not like daughters and definitely not as lovers, but I did. I loved them. Whatever that meant, I just wanted to protect them.

As each year went by and our kill count increased, the girls started relying on me less and less. Meanwhile, I struggled to keep up, but it wasn’t because of my lack of skills. They’d become so fast and so strong. It was inhuman, actually. So, as it is right now, they do most of the work and I’m just...there, taking up space and trying to dish out some wisdom from time to time.

The sounds of the prisoner’s screams shook me from my nostalgia. Kiara covered his mouth with just one finger and he instantly closed it, still wide eyed and afraid. She took her finger back and said, “All you need to do is tell me where HE is. Do that and I will end your pain and let you be on your way.”