Miranda |○ ☀︎|Swimming Lessons

『 D e m o n!R e a d e r 』
* Cursing *
First oneshot! Here we go ٩( 'ω' )و Requested by @TazManianDevil15
Word Count : 1159

"Babe, I'm not kidding. I'm literally too hot for this."

You sigh, your girlfriend was amazing, no doubt, but she was definitely stubborn. You two had gone to the pool on the fine summer day. Thinking there would've been lots of others, you assumed you'd have a plausible excuse for only dipping your legs into the water. Your hopes died when you came to find the place empty, Miri had rented the entire pool for just the two of you... and about 50 of her serfs.

Oh how lucky you were.

"C'mon sweetheart! It's just a little water, nothing to be so afraid about. Wait! I'll get a serf to bring us some pool floats!" with that, Miri swam over to the far end of the pool and beckoned a serf over.

As your beloved yelled at her servants, you leaned back on your hands with your legs still dangling in the water. As gorgeous as your pink princess was in her baby blue bikini, that wasn't the reason for your heated state. As many differences as there were between demons and mermaids, there was one biggie. Demons. Do not. Swim.

Not neccessarily can't. Don't.

You see, your body temperature is always set to boiling all the time. Nothing you tried could change that. It's great for cold winters, you could go outside in your underwear and you'd never feel the sting of the cold. But for swimming? Being surrounded by chemical-filled water that would be toxic to inhale if someone just happened to vaporize some? That's a recipe for a fucking disaster. Which, may you add, is a very good reason for not diving in and submerging your upper body, where your fire could really scald. If anything, you were doing the place a favor. Well, that's what you convinced yourself. In reality, you just never tried nor wanted to try swimming. What's the point in needing that skill when you could just evaporate the water and go on your merry way?

A whistle snapped you out of your unusual inner turmoil, "Sweetie! I've got a donut and a swan, which do you want?"

You blinked and looked up, confusion lining your features. You spied the enourmous pool floaties that Miri's serfs blew up during your defensive thoughts. "Uhhh, swan please!"

She sped through the water like a torpedo, both hands pulling the pool toys along. You observed her with masked envy, wishing you could be beside her. Once she reached you, you carefully slipped onto the large aquatic device. The swan was built to expose your legs into the water, but keep the rest of you afloat. Convenient. Looking up triumphantly at your successful attempt, your gaze met the mermaid's as her features etched into disappointment.

"What's wrong?" you ask.

"Are you not enjoying the date? Is that why you don't want to go into the water? I can arrange something else! You can just tell me, it's fi-"

"No no no!" you frantically interrupted, flailing your arms and almost knocking yourself off your floatie. "It's just that... I'm not very accustomed to water. You seemed so excited to bring me here and I didn't want to ruin your fun by admitting I can't swim," you looked down at your feet still in the water, embarrassed at how dumb your reasoning sounded.

Miri's eyes widened as she took your hands in her own. You looked up when you felt her fingers brush your cheek and gently angle your face towards hers. She gave you a sweet smile as your eyes met, her eyes twinkling with understanding and affection. "Sweetheart that's nothing to be ashamed of. I grew up in an underwater castle, I have gills and fins and even scales. Our backgrounds are polar opposites, which is what makes us so compatible! There is nothing to be afraid of, I promise. We can start out with baby steps and stay in the shallow end if need be. I just want the both of us to enjoy this," she pulled you closer and kissed you softly. You froze for a second, letting her words sink in. Soon enough you were endulging in a heated kiss with the mermaid until–

"–Shit, it's tilting!" You two quickly separate as you scramble back as far as you can. Miri pushed the swan's neck upwards to balance the floatie. After your lifeline is secured, you both look up at one another and burst into laughter.

"Miri! What the hell! I could've died!" She rolls her eyes at you and lightly splashes water in your direction. You kick water towards her, much harder than anticipated, and accidentally  sending a typhoon of water into her face. Oops? Giggling, she pulls you (or rather, your swan) over near the pool's steps. You awkwardly clamber off when the water level reaches knee level.

The rest of the day is spent in and out of the pool. First, your loving girlfriend gave you instructions on how to stay calm and tread water. After a few rounds of holding onto her shoulders for dear life as you attempted maneuvering your legs "like eggbeaters" as she said, you two took a short break and played with pool noodles. Then, she helped you lie flat on your back in the pool, gently tugging you around and giving you tips on how to stay afloat. There was much trial and error during the first few times due to your insistent cries of death and other curses I won't mention. Eventually you got to the point where you could backstroke across the pool's length while Miri followed you from the side. How romantic.

Anyways, Miri found your progress satisfactory for the day and decided to fetch more serfs to bring you two some towels. You helped each other shower and change... which took longer than expected when Miri started to get a little handsy. You didn't complain. The steamy shower session cleaned you both up, and with that, you left the pool.

As you walked across the indoor pool's entrance, Miri suggested dinner to end the afternoon. "Soooo? In celebration of my baby's successful swimming lesson, I was thinking a candlelit dinner with music and entertainment! What do you think?" Miri nudged your shoulder and wrapped an arm around your waist. You thought about it but declined, you could tell your girlfriend was really feeling the heat underneath her floppy hat and 500 SPF sunscreen.

"I mean, there's an ice cream place just down the road. I hear they have strawberry," you sing-songed. The princess nodded happily and motioned for her serfs to speed up their fanning of her.

You smiled, looking forward to the ice cream with Miri. It was the perfect way to end your summertime date. Oh how lucky you were.