Chapter 26: The Rescue Mission

Start from the beginning

Max made the signal by nodding his head, holding up his hand his fingers formed a '1, 2 and finally 3'. Charlotte watched as they both hurled their rocks far off into the black off the night listening as they made a clanking sound against the ground off in the distance, even banging together as they rolled along the ground. The three friends all froze in their spots, listening for any signs of Gold near them.

Eli suddenly put his hands to his lips in silence, nodding as they heard a shuffling right at the entrance to the maze and a blurry figure race into the maze toward the sound.

Charlotte felt her entire body heave with relief, luckily they hadn't gone straight for the entrance, he had been waiting right there for them.

They waited another minute before jumping up and sprinting out of the maze, up the stairs and through the car park. No looking back as they ran, momentarily safe in the knowledge he was deeply in the maze. For a person foreign to Winchester Heights that maze was tricky, so they definitely had a good ten minutes on him.

Charlotte could feel her lungs were about the burst. She felt Eli grip her hand in his almost pulling her along at a slightly faster pace and knew she had to push through it. No matter how tired she was, these boys had risked their life to come and save her and she could almost feel the entire situation was almost over.

Suddenly bright head lights blinded all three of them and they slowed to a jog, Charlotte quickly using this moment to catch her breath. The car screeched to a stop and her heart nearly stopped when Grace jumped out of the passenger door running toward her daughter.

Charlotte let out a small sob and threw herself into her mothers arms, feeling the familiar warmth and safety wash over her. Chuck was next, joining their little group hug.

The police cars piled up behind Chuck's car with the blue flashing flights lighting up the forest all around them.

'He's in the maze for the moment sir,' Eli piped up interrupting their touching family moment with a sense of urgency. 'You need to catch this fucker right? End all of this?'

Chuck's spine straightening considerable and turned to the police force gathering behind them, 'We need to surround the maze and get some floodlights on it, we are not letting him get away this time!' He barked his orders and everyone climbed back into their cruisers.

'Go,' Grace told him softly still clutching Charlotte. 'Go and get him, I'll take the others back to our house.'

Chuck nodded, he knew he needed to do this. He ordered one of the cops to accompany the group back to the house,  and Chuck climbed into a spare cruiser with the police.

'Come on ma'am,' the officer said flashing his torch around them, noticing how dark it was with all the cars lights gone. 'We better get back.'

Grace turned to Max and Eli with tears in her eyes, 'Thank you so much for saving her.'

The boys shifted awkwardly in front of her, clearly embarrassed and Charlotte smiled a watery smile.

'It's nothing,' Max mumbled.

'It's everything,' Grace insisted. 'Don't think you're getting out of this without a hug.' She warned, 'Wait till we get home.'

All five of them piled into Chuck's car with the officer driving them swiftly home. Jody was waiting on the front porch when they got there pulling Max into a long hug, 'Can someone please tell me what's going on here?' She demanded. 'There has been police cars outside all night and my baby went missing?'

'Ugh, Mum don't be embarrassing,' Max groaned.

'Come inside Jody, we'll explain everything,' Grace said soothingly guiding everyone into the kitchen.