Two.

TrizahNjoroge8 thank you my dear. I see you

---------—---

It was two days later and Alexis had woken up earlier than usual to dress up in order to hide her bruises. The only time her mom slept in was when she was off or on holidays. The other days she was up by five in the morning and when waking her up she would rip off her blankets and throw them to the floor. Apparently the Barrets were heavy sleepers. Not that she would know since she just pretended to be asleep every time her mother came in to wake her up.

Alexis always thought it was wise to keep whatever similarities she had to her father to herself. Being a light sleeper was one of them. At least that's what she thought because if she didn't get it from her mom then it was obvious she got it from her dad. And from the things she heard her mom say to Uncle Vincent, she deduced her dad was a bad man who hurt her mother. So there was no need to cause her more pain than she had already endured.

"Honey are you up?" Hayley asked barging in to her daughter's room. To say that she was surprised was an understatement. Alexis was already up and dressed. "Wow you're up early. Why?"

"What do you mean mom. I have exams in a few weeks and Mr Kelly keeps giving us pop quizzes any chance he gets. It's so annoying." Mr Kelly was her maths teacher and if there was one thing Alexis had in common with her mother was their hate for numbers. And mentioning that was always guaranteed to distract her mom from everything.

"Do you think I should transfer you? We can always change schools if you don't like your current one."

"Mom it doesn't matter which school I go to. Maths is always the same."

"You're right. I really hate school." Hayley sighed hoping to convey to her daughter that she understood her problems.

" I feel you mom. I feel you." She said shaking her head. Mission accomplished.

"Alright I'll go make breakfast and you can come down whenever you're done. Okay sweetie?"

"Yes mommy."

It was midday and lunch was just beginning. It was the one time Hayley loved because mostly it was just suits and their employees that showed up to eat. Dinner was a pain because of the high school kids and families that brought in toddlers. It's not that she disliked kids. She was a mother herself but God help her some of the children were a real piece of work. And while some parents were remorseful others just didn't care. After all it was her job to keep the restaurant clean and serve them at the same time. She really got lucky with Alexis and Just thinking about her put a smile on her face.

"Hey day dreamer. You have a call." Jess one of her colleagues told her.

"Who is it? If it's my credit company tell them I died last week." Hayley said.

"Ha ha very funny. It's some guy named Vince."

"Oh. Thanks Jess." Hayley murmured wondering why Vincent would call her at the restaurant and not her mobile phone. "Hey what's up? Why are you calling here?"

"I'm. fine Hayley. Thanks for asking." Vince retorted.

"Sorry. It's just that you never call me here at the restaurant. It's weird." She said laughing "how are you?"

"I'm fine. I called the restaurant because your phone is off and that's a little bothersome. Is everything alright?"

"Everything is fine. I forgot to charge it and it's lunch hour so you know how busy it gets." Hayley replied after removing her phone from her uniform and seeing indeed that her phone was off.