One.

Dedicated to Plutothepoodle. Thanks for being so supportive

-----------------------------------------

  "Mom wake up. I'm hungry. MOM!" Alexis yelled at her mother because she was a heavy sleeper. She was sure her mother could sleep through the invasion of aliens and not hear a thing. Sometimes she wondered how she survived as an infant or maybe she really did cry all night and that's why her voice was always so loud. Some of her friends in school couldn't tell her secrets since she didn't know how to whisper.

         "Aren't you old enough to make your own food yet?  A groggy voice asked from under her.

        "Yeah old enough to eat cereal but today I want eggs. And we don't want to end up living on the streets because my mother wanted to catch up with her beauty sleep. Right?"

         "You make a good point you charming little shit. Now let's go."

         "Mom language!" Alexis chastised. Hayley just laughed on her way to the kitchen. It was possible that her seven year old daughter was more grown up than she looked. And dare she say wiser?

        "Yes mom." She just retorted shooting the little girl a playful glare while rolling her eyes. It was Monday and her day off from the restaurant meaning she could go back to bed after sending her daughter off to school. "Have you showered?

        "I'm not a kid anymore. Of course I showered already and I figured I would wake you up so that while you're making breakfast I can put on my uniform." Alexis told her mum with a smug look.

       "Okay smarty pants. I will make you breakfast so go ahead and change." Of course her daughter was wise. Why she had thought otherwise was beyond her. Whisking the eggs she remembered the day she had given birth to her. Even back then Alexis had been too grown up for her age. She only cried when she needed something, a diaper change or food. The rest of the time she was quiet either sleeping or just playing and laughing to herself. It's like her daughter knew she was still struggling to be normal and given her space. Vince had said she was lucky because other mothers out there would kill to have a child like Alexis even for an hour.

"Are you daydreaming?" she asked startling her.

      "No. When was the last time you talked to Vince?"

"Yesterday. Why?" Alexis asked seating down.

       "Nothing. It's been too long for me so remind me to call him later"

"Okay. Now where's my breakfast?"

         "You know I'm your mother and not your employee. Right"

"Uh huh. Breakfast mom"

       "Here's your food your highness. Anything else?" Hayley retorted bowing.

          "It's too early for your sarcasm mommy dearest. Now go take a shower. You stink of yesterday"

          "You little brat. I am your mother and I give the orders around here." she told her picking her up and placing her on the table then proceeded to tickle her. This little girl was the most important person in her life and seeing her happy made her day.

        "Mom..... Stop..... Mom please..." Alexis said while trying to catch her breath. "The bus is here. Am going to be late"  that got her to stop.

       "Who's the boss?" Hayley asked smiling.

       "You mom. Now I have to go. See you later" reaching down to kiss her daughter goodbye, Hayley felt like crying all of a sudden. Her baby was her world and she would do anything for her. Sometimes it scared her how much she loved her daughter. Growing up she didn't have a mother. The woman died during childbirth and if it wasn't for the photos her father showed her she wouldn't have known how she looked. Not that that fact prevented her from being loved.