It had taken a little convincing and promising that I wouldn't start anything with Jared before Emmie had accepted my decision. I also had to agree to let her come with me and sit in the car while I give him the papers. When I had told the guys about it, they wanted me to punch Jared in the face for each bruise he left on Emmie. It's a great idea, but I'd rather not instigate a lawsuit with Jared for provoking a fight. Plus, I have to keep my promise to Emmie. She trusts me and I don't want to break that or else our friendship will be jeopardized.

Friendship.

I feel like I'm mocking myself by just saying the word, but it's for the best. She doesn't need to be in a relationship right now. I don't think she even knows how to be in a healthy relationship. Well, I don't either thanks to Natalie. Our hearts are scarred and even though years have passed after we were hurt, we're still in the process of healing. Who knows how long it could take before both us are stable enough to be in a relationship?

If we ever get in a relationship.

__

Emmie and I skip class and leave early this morning to go take Jared the restraining order papers. It had taken the court some digging to find his current location and we found out that he moved from Glendale to Fort Collins, which is about an hour from Denver. It's obvious Emmie is nervous by the way she keeps fiddling with her sweater and bouncing her knee up and down as we near Jared's house. Even though she has stayed positive through this whole ordeal, there's still a hint of fear of being in the general vicinity of Jared that she is trying to keep hidden.

I sneak a glance at the brown-haired beauty next to me. Her small, trembling hands are gripping the hem of her sweater tightly as she stares out the window. I pull my attention back to the road and signal a left turn into a residential area. Keeping one hand on the wheel, I reach my other hand over the center console and place it reassuringly on her thigh. Emmie jumps from my touch and stares at me with bewildered eyes.

"Everything is going to be okay," I say, patting her thigh lightly before resting it there. "I'm not going to tell you to 'calm down' because I can't force you to change your state of mind or the whirlwind of emotions that you're going through. It's natural to be scared, but I do want you to try and fight it. You have to prove not only to Jared, but to yourself that he has no control over you anymore." I paused briefly, making a right turn at the stop sign.

"By being nervous, you're allowing Jared to manipulate your mind," I say. "You need to be the stronger person and fight against him. You've done such a good job thus far. You stood up against him when he was assaulting you. You had the courage to put your foot down and file a restraining order against his ass. Don't let this ruin all that you've accomplished."

I park the car against the curb a few houses down from Jared's and turn to Emmie. Her eyes haven't left mine from the moment I placed my hand on her thigh to now. Her nervous gestures have ceased and she looks livelier.

"He's not going to ruin me," she says. "I won't allow it. He did his damage and now I'm putting an end to it. I may still have some things to overcome because of him, but his existence will no longer affect me. I'm taking control of my life and there's nothing else he can do to stop me." Her fierce, gray eyes glisten with confidence and integrity, and her lips curve into a smile.

Gratification. Happiness. Astonishment. Affection. Her words hit me like a tidal wave and I am flooding with so many emotions at once. This is no longer just a crush. I'm in deep and I can't fight it anymore.

"That's what I like to hear," I say, rewarding her with a smile full of delight. I grab the large clasp envelope containing the papers for the restraining order and head down the sidewalk to Jared's house.