prologue

PROLOGUE
' beginning of summer '

LYLA REED WAS AT POP'S CHOC'LIT SHOP

LYLA REED WAS AT POP'S CHOC'LIT SHOP. She was rolling on her skates, the yellow skirt flowing behind her. It was a slow night at Pop's diner, but Lyla didn't mind. It just meant more practice on the new skates she got. She skated up and down the restaurant, refilling coffee's to the folks traveling through Riverdale.

The sixteen year old heard the bell ding from the kitchen and she made her way over. She grabbed the receipt, seeing it was Booth 12. She grabbed the burger and fry, taking the milkshake in her other hand.

"Here you go," She spoke softly as she set the plate down. "Can I get you anything else?"

The boy in the grey beanie shook his head, "No thanks. You're Lyla, right?"

"Yeah, how did you...?"

"You were the talk of the town at the beginning of the year. Everyone knows you."

Something I definitely don't want, She thought.

"Yeah," She said. "You are?"

"Forsythe Pendleton Jones the third, but my friends call me Jughead."

"Nice to meet you Jughead. See you around." She gave the boy a smile before turning on her heel and skating away.

///

"You can head on home, Lyla." Pop Tate told the girl.

She just nodded in reply, her eyes falling heavy as she sat on a stool to take her skates off and switch to her white converse. As soon as she took her apron off and hung it up, the bell on the door rang.

"I called in about a pick up order." Lyla turned around and saw a boy with jet black hair, a busted lip and a Serpent jacket on his back.

"Sweet Pea, right?" Lyla said as she picked up the brown bag.

"Yeah." He told her and she handed him the bag.

Lyla grabbed her purse and said bye to Pop Tate. Before Lyla could open the door, Sweet Pea had beat her to it.

"Thanks," She told him quietly.

"Yeah, no problem," He told her. "I'm Sweet Pea."

"Lyla Reed, nice to meet you."

"You too. Can I, uh, can I walk you home?" He asked Lyla. She looked at the raven haired boy.

"I'm sure that'd be okay." She smiled towards him.

Sweet Pea had no idea as to why he was even offering. Maybe it was her brown orbs that sparked an interest as soon as the two made eye contact.
Or maybe it was the way she had hair
coming out of her ponytail.

"So where do you live?" Sweet Pea asked Lyla, shaking all thoughts from his mind.

"I—I... Sunnyside Trailer Park. Don't judge me and tell me you live in this big fat mansion." She told him. Lyla was very hesitant to tell him where she lived. Most people had run off scared once they learned that she lived in a trailer.

Sweet Pea scoffed. "I'll just walk alone since—" Lyla began.

"No, it's not that. I live there too. I mean, the jacket kinda gives that away."

Not knowing what to say, Lyla just nodded.

"Where do you go to school at?" Lyla asked him, but retracted her statement, knowing that Serpents went to Southside High.

"I'm sorry, I should've..." Lyla just sighed. She was stumbling over her words in front of one of the cutest guys she's seen.

"It's okay. What about you? You go to Riverdale?"

Lyla nodded. "My mom used to live down there, so I still use her address to go to school there. Not that anything's wrong with Southside High."

Sweet Pea had been surprised that he found her rambling cute, making sure she didn't offend him.

"There might not be anything wrong with Southside High, but there are definitely some things wrong with the Northside." Sweet Pea joked. However, there was still the tone that he was being serious in his voice.

"Can't day that I don't agree. Riverdale isn't all it seems to be. The girls are mean, the guys are rude. Same old high school kids." Lyla chuckles. She rambled about her troubles at Riverdale High before realizing what she was doing.

"Sorry, I tend to ramble. A lot."

Sweet Pea noticed that Lyla smiled. A lot. He liked that she smiled a lot. It had certainly lifted his spirits from before he arrived at Pop's.

Sweet Pea had got in a fight with the Ghoulies on fourth street while heading to the Whyte Wyrm. He didn't know why a girl he barley knew had made him in a better mood.

He certainly wasn't complaining.

But a smile hides a lot of secrets. And there was a lot that Sweet Pea didn't know about Lyla Reed. All the more, there was a lot Lyla Reed didn't know about Sweet Pea either.

But that just made it more fun.

[note]
This was the
shittiest thing
I have ever
written.