6) 100 Days in Deadland by RachelAukes

100 Days in Deadland by RachelAukes

Rating- 4.5/5

A must read.

Enough said.

I’m serious! Do it now!

Even if you hate zombie apocalypse books.

Even if you hate me.

I have never read a riveting, fly by the seat of my pants book that has gripped me in a spellbound inducing embrace until I added 100 Days in Deadland to my library. I was hesitant going into the book because the apocalypse books I’ve read so far weren’t as intense as I’d have liked them to be but the moment I started I had to finish it.

It’s a story about an office worker caught in the midst of the breakdown of civilization when a virus causes the infected to become hungry man eating zeds. She meets an army veteran who saves her in the middle of chaos. He teaches her how to survive and then they become partners. Another survivor, a 15 year old named Jase, joins them. They soon discover that the walking dead aren’t even their biggest problem.

The girl didn’t become a kickass, Lara Croft type over night, she isn’t a startling beauty to begin with, the guy isn’t a hot as hell hero, he’s not charming and his only goal is endurance yet together they make this team whose goal soon shifts to survive together or die in the new world order.

I can’t write too much without giving it all away but I will say this. The first person point of view that the main protagonist offers chronicles the real change that people go through when thrust into a situation where it is kill or be killed.

The one thing that I absolutely loved about this book is the fact that the relationship between Cash and Clutch (the main protagonist and the army vet) is based on tremendous trust and loyalty and the fact that they became each other’s family along with Jase in this new world.

For a gritty, real life read I definitely raise a glass to 100 Days in Deadland.