Mother's Day, Troublesome Day

"......Daaaaaad....!!"

A frenzied yelp could be heard approaching closer and closer as the green-eyed Nara boy scurried towards his father.

".........Hmm......"

The older Nara grumbled in his sleep, attempting to latch on to his lazy morning for as long as he could.

"....Dad! Wake up! Don't...Don't tell me you forgot what day it is too....." Shikadai sighed, a hand attempting to cover the frustrated look on his face as he caught sight of his sluggish father still in bed.

"DAD!!!!" Shikadai cried out, louder this time, grabbing on to his father's shirt, attempting to shake him awake.

"Wake up, Old Man......."

The only reason he was aware of their dreaded death sentence now, was because he'd been over at Boruto's that morning, playing a limited time special event in their game.

While they'd been playing, the Uzumaki boy and Inojin had been discussing the presents they had gotten their mom's for Mother's Day the previous day.

"....Eh....five more minutes, Temari.....please don't smack me...." Shikamaru mumbled, still half asleep.

"Yeah...we're going to be asking her for a lot more mercy than that when she finds out we forgot Mother's Day..." Shikadai stated.

"This is such a drag, dad...You're supposed to be the responsible one." He added with a shake of his head.

"H-mmm...?" Shikamaru's eyes began to slowly open.

"...What are you going on about? Mother's what....? Mother's....." Shikamaru sprung awake, sitting up on the bed as he realized what his son had been trying to tell him.

"Mother's Day? That's today??" Shikamaru asked, his eyes scanning his son for answers.

Shikadai scratched the back of his neck. "....Actually Dad, it was yesterday. We're just lucky mom isn't back from her trip yet..." The small boy let out a deep sigh.

"Ah....man...what a drag...." Shikamaru said, rubbing his hair as his nerves began leaping with worry, his mind envisioning his woman becoming the frightful embodiment of wrath itself.

"I wonder how much time we have to attempt to live through this one...and if we survive your mom...I don't want to know what your grandmother is gonna do to me..." He shuddered at the thought.

"Dad, What are we gonna do??" Shikadai asked, his eyes staring into his dad's, hoping that the old man had an answer for him.

Shikamaru sighed. What would they do?

Flowers were an option, but if he understood anything about women, it was that they talked about everything.

If he went into the Yamanaka flower shop in search of a belated Mother's Day present, there was no doubt that Ion would inform Temari of the  dilemma he had managed to get himself and his son into.

"....Heh...What did Boruto and Inojin do?" Shikamaru asked, his mind seeking to find a good starting point for brainstorming a promising Mother's Day idea.