Chapter 7: First Catch (Troy)

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry, man."

I sighed rocking on my chair, I tried not to wallow in it for too long. "Maybe I should offer her money. Sell the yacht."

He squited frustration read on his face. "Money? For your son?"

"I don't want him to look up when he's eighteen and I wasn't there." I said, "Before she moved off the island there wasn't a day I didn't see Porter."

"She's fucking with you, to get more money out of you." He banged his hand on my desk, "You need to get a lawyer."

"Hire a lawyer and pay the bills here?"

"So don't pay my salary. I would give up two salaries to see that bitch get what's coming to her."

I chuckled. "And how are you going to pay you're bills."

"I'll stay with you." He laughed.

I didn't know if it was a joke or not, but I considered it. Either way, I had to sell the yacht. I was going to miss hanging out with my little partner in crime catching the catch of the day.

I didn't know how Scar and I connected like we did. I was just shocked she went from being shy to us being able to confide in each other. I guess I was so used to town gossip, it was nice to talk about business ideas, music, and books. It was nice to have intellegent conversation for once. She would do good in college.

She had a birthday coming up and I decided I needed to get her something. I was used to buying small gifts for my employees on my birthday, but I felt I had to buy her something special, something she could keep in her dorm room and think of our little island.

I sat back on my loungue chair sipping my morning coffee rolling over ideas.

"Um...Troy?" I barely heard her because I was so deep in thought.

"Troy?"She called.

I looked at her and she was against the rail of the yacht, she looked back at me with concern in her eyes.

"What do I do when I get a bite?"

I shot up setting my coffee cup down, wanting to laugh at her but I darted for her pole. This was her first bite, it was adorable that she was so nervous. I grabbed her hand and put it over the handle slipping behind her. The rod bent and what ever was at the end of line was on the run.

"Come on, sweetheart. Don't be afraid of it." I said feeling her tense in my arms. Reeling it in, it had to be a good foot and a half a silver redfish. It almost looked like a mini shark. Scar screeched as it flipped on the surface of the water and I helped her reel the guy into the boat.

I let her finishe reeling as I grabbed the net and pulled the big guy onto the boat. Scar squeeled againg this time in celebration. Her big eyes studied the mornings catch. "Oh my gosh!" She said as her fingers hesitated toward the twitching fish.

Carefully pulling the fish from the net I turned to her. "You want to get the hook out?"

She shook her head in panic and I had to laugh as she brought her fingers to her lips. I wanted a camera to capture her reaction. It was classic. Removing the hook stepped closer to her, and she backed away. "Come on, sweetheart, "I laughed, "He won't bite. Why don't you give him a little kiss."

She pushed her lips together as color rose in her cheeks. "Why don't you give him a kiss?"

"I dare you to kiss him." She said backing away.

"Hey, I've kissed worse."

She giggled again.

"I double dare you."

"Aren't you from Louisiana? Don't you people eat frog legs?"

Her mouth dropped but she kept her smile. "Frog legs are good. They taste like chicken." She said.

"I'll take the chicken, thanks." I laughed, "Come on kiss him. I'll tell you what you kiss him and I'll eat the frog legs."

"Eww!"

"Two hundred bucks and I eat frog legs if you kiss him." I teased.

"You are not getting me to kiss that fish." She squirmed, "How about you kiss him, and put in on the menu that you did. I know all the ladies would love that."

"Made out by Troy, huh?" I laughed, "I think they would prefer, made out by Scar."

She stuck her tongue out and wrinkled her nose.

"Come on, babe."

She bit her bottom lip. "I will if you will."

I shrugged pulling the fish up to my mouth and quickly putting my lips to the fish's mouth.

Scar gagged.

"Your turn sweetheart."

"Do you have a fetish of seeing girls kiss fish?"

"No, this is just fun." I confessed.

She brought her face to the fish and the bounced. "I am not kissing that thing."

"Last chance, two hundred bucks and frog legs."

She brought her lips up to the fish and gagged. She covered her mouth. "Not going to happen." She walked to the back of the boat and stepped on to the deck. I was right behind her. She was adorable.

When I had finally reached the restaraunt on my way to the kitchen I noticed her run into the bathroom and I had to laugh. As I approached Nick, I had an idea for Scar's birthday.

"That's a nice one." Nick said observing the fish.

"Scar caught it." I smiled.

His eyes widened. "Her first catch of the day."

"Nick, didn't you say your Mom was a cajun chef?"

Nick took the fish and set it on his cutting board. "Yeah."

"Scar's birthday is in a couple of weeks, I was thinking we do a New Orleans themed party here after hours."

He shot me a side ways smile. I hated that I knew what he was thinking.

"Look she's new. She's my friend, and I think it would be a nice way to make her feel at home." I said.

"Yeah, I can do that. Have a seafood boil." He said, "Order some crawfish, and calimari, and stuff."

I shivered. "And frog legs."

His eyes narrowed.

I backed out. "And well give it a Mardi Gras theme. Thanks Nick, you're awesome."

I was excited for her reaction to my suprise party for her. I knew she would remember it for a long time, but I still needed a special gift for her.

I noticed her coming out of the bathroom looking flushed and green. I dug into my pocket for my wallet and rummaged through it to find the hundred I owed her. I tugged it in my hands in front of her teasing her with it. "It could have been two." I sang.

She snatched it shoving it in her pocket. She then rolled her eyes and went to serving tables. I was prepared to give her the day off, but she seemed okay with working. Sometimes I thought that she would work all day if I didn't say anything. I didn't want it to come to that, but something told me it was because she didn't know the town, or no one invited her. I thought about having a chat with Brit, and telling her to invite her to her next girl's night with Tiff. The girls were friends, I wondered why they hadn't already taken her. I knew it was probably because both of them couldn't pull themselves away from their boyfriends.

I usually didn't intervene with things like this, but I knew it would be good for Scar, and it made me feel better knowing that she was content. It was strange to admit but her smile brightened my day.