Chapter Nine: Cruella De Vil Goes Camping

"Your passport, Mr. Kirkland," the boy at the desk grinned, handing Arthur his passport, "have a safe flight home."

"Thank you." He replied. He turned to Francis. "All set, then. Where's Eliza?"

"I just rang up," Francis told him, "she should be on her way down."

"Right." Arthur nodded.

"So I'll send Amabelle to you for Christmas." The Frenchman stated.

"And Eliza will stay with you for Easter." His ex finished.

The twins stepped out of the elevator, though they shocked their parents. One had her hair pulled away from her face with a red-with-blue-polka-dots ribbon, and they were both dressed almost identically. One on the left had her arms crossed - Eliza - while the one on the right  - Amabelle - had her hands placed on her hips. Both men frowned.

"Elizabeth, get out of those clothes," Arthur requested, "we have a plane to catch."

"Here's the deal, Father," Amabelle began, grinning as she revealed their master plan, "we thought it over, and we realized we're being kind of screwed over here."

"Papa promised we'd go on a camping trip," Eliza continued, "and we wanna go."

"Together." They chimed in unison.

"....What camping trip?" Arthur asked, brows furrowed.

"Me and Amabelle go on a camping trip every year before school starts." Francis explained to him.

"Elizabeth, this is ridiculous." The British man sighed. "Go get changed."

"Are you sure I'm Elizabeth?" Amabelle asked playfully.

"I'm 100% sure of which one you are." Arthur replied hesitantly. He'd never been good with telling Alfred and Matthew apart when they were younger, and Eliza and Amabelle were even more identical than them.

"But it's hard to tell, isn't it?" Eliza questioned.

"Girls," Francis replied, "this is not funny. You are going to make your father miss his plane. S'il vous plaît, chéris?"

"No can do, Papa." They exclaimed in unison, knowing Francis spoke in French, intending to throw them off. 

"Elizabeth!" Arthur scolded.

"Yes?" Both girls blinked.

"This one's Amabelle," He said, pointing at the correct twin, "I've always been better than Arthur at telling you apart."

"I hope you're right Papa," Amabelle hummed, "You wouldn't want to send the wrong twin off to London."

"Would you?" Eliza smiled, raising an eyebrow.

Francis, with a sigh, stepped away and allowed the girls to tell them both what it would take to switch them back officially.

"Here's our proposition." Eliza began. "We go to Papa's house, pack our stuff, and the four of us go on a camping trip."

"The...four of us?" Arthur repeated.

"And when you bring us back," Amabelle chimed in, "we'll tell you who's Amabelle and who's Eliza."

"Or," Arthur replied sternly, "you do as we say and change back into your normal clothes. Where'd you even get those, anyway?"

"Michi." The twins replied.

Their parents sighed. There was no way out of this one.

-

"What am I supposed to do for three days?" Catherine growled. "Sit home and knit?"