I was half expecting her to question me, cutting me off since this is the longest I've spoken without her interrupting me. But she dropped the papers and her hands started to shake slightly. She was still looking down and I became worried if she was ill.

      “What's wrong?”, I inquired her softly as I picked up the papers and held them out to her once more.

      “Oh no… Thank you”, she mumbled but still didn't look at me. As I thought of my words from the first day in car, I felt ashamed of myself for talking to her that way. So in the hope of reassuring her I told her to take the invitation as my apology, in my own way.

      “This way you won't have any reservations about leaving here.”

      “Okay…”, her reply held a hint of displeasure and I wondered if she was already fed up with me and her stay here.

      “What is it? Are you displeased with how long it took? Because this was as fast as…”

      “No. I was just thinking you must have pulled a lot of strings for me…” Now she looked up at me searching my face. “Was this the reason you didn't come straight out to the courtyard with us…?” The question caught me off guard and I looked away, feeling my face heat up.

      “Well, yeah…”

      She always had a knack for seeing right through me no matter what I did to act normal. The thought brought a smile to my lips. But I couldn't bear to see her being displeased with me so I gently addressed her.

      “I-I know you don't really want to see me anymore…So if you could wait just one more day.”

      When I said that her face flickered between shock and sorrow. She forced a smile saying nothing and my heart panged to see that look on her face. I had a sudden urge to pull her to my chest and tell her not to look like that ever again. But having been the reason for that look I could only do so much. So I bade her night and walked back to my room.

      “Your highness? You called for me?!”

      “Ready the car, Jan. I'll be there shortly.”

      “Might I ask where we're going, your highness?”

      “Out.” He stared blankly at me as if he couldn't understand what I was saying.

      “Did you perhaps not hear me?”

      “I perfectly heard you, your highness. I'll ready the car at once.” He gave a bow but before leaving looked back at me amusedly for some reason.

      We were speeding through the streets when he inquired me again. “Your highness? If you'd tell me-

      “To the boutique, downtown”, I replied nonchalantly cutting him off and he turned to me from the driver seat.

      “The boutique, your highness?” He peered at my face for a moment before turning away. I could see his shoulders shaking with laughter. His behavior sparked my irritation.

      “What's so funny, Jan?”

      “Nothing, your highness”, I could see a smile in that response much to my annoyance.

      “Nothing my ass! If you've got something to say then say it!”

      “Your highness was so opposed to even tell her about the party this morning but now-“, he paused to look at me through the rear view mirror with a huge grin. “We're going to pick a dress for Miss Odette, am I right your highness?”