Quiet is Good, Sometimes

Allen was making his way back into Oslnore today to get a new book because he had already read the ones he had several times over. Before that he's gonna make a trip to the leather workers shop to sell pelts from this week's hunt. It being Saturday, there was plenty of people out which annoyed Allen slightly as he does not like people very much, but still too early for a large crowd. He quickly headed over to the shop and walks in with the sound of a small bell and waits as a somewhat burly man comes behind the counter from the back room.”What can I do you for Allen?” he asks not too curiously for he already knew why he was there. Allen threw a small pile of pelts onto the counter to show the man. “So what do we got here?” he shifted through the pile, “5 hares, 3 squirrels, and 2 fawn. All with quite a great quality, I expected no less of you.” The shopkeeper chuckles walks into the back room and returns a minute later with a somewhat large pouch, “50 gold for everything.”

“Being a bit generous are we, Edgar?” Allen questioned as the man, ‘Edgar’, threw the bag to him and he started counting.

“You're good business, I wanna do what I can to keep you around!” he bellowed in laughter as he picks up the pelts and throws them into the back then turns back around to Allen, “You know, Allen, the people of this town don't bite, you can come down here more than once a week to fetch a few things and actually socialize with the townsfolk.”

“No thank you, I'd rather stay in the forest where things are actually interesting.” Allen then proceeded out of the shop, waving on the way out, and groaning when he sees all of the people then scowls and mumbles to himself, “I wasn't even in there for that long” and starts walking towards the bookstore as people walked around him like a rock in the river after feeling the slightly menacing aura around him as well as knowing exactly who he is. Allen walks across town with little effort and steps into the bookstore, “any new books today Finnian?” he looks around at the bookshelves recognizing practically all of them as books he read on his spare time. There was a crash in the back room as a startled Finnian comes tumbling out into the main room.

“Just a few, I have them behind the counter over here in case you would have been interested” he hastily says as he reaches under the counter and struggles to put three seemingly heavy books on top of the counter with a slight slam. Allen walks up to read the covers, picking up the top two reading Forward March: The Battle of Hell’s Valley and Nature’s Secrets: Botanics Heaven Vol. 1. “This is the book I thought you would be the most interested in, being the only elf in any nearby towns” Finnian stated matter of factly. Allen looked at the book seeing it written entirely in elvish, but he could read it. He examined it more closely, it was a very old very thick leather bound book that was very well taken care of. The cover read Sorfen meaning Excalibur in elvish, he slowly slid his hand over the cover.

“How much?” Allen asked very intrigued in the book mostly because you can’t find elvish books in these parts.

“For these two,” he pointed to the other books on the counter, “I’ll give them to you for 10 gold, but you can have the elvish book for free because I highly doubt that anyone else would want it.” Allen absently throws 10 gold on the counter from the pouch from the leatherworker and grabs the other two books all without taking his eyes off the elvish book. “Enjoy those books Allen see you next week!” Yelled Finnian as Allen made his way out of the store and back into the crowd.

***

It’s not everyday I see books like this. I walked out of the shop and put them into my rabbit pelt pack on my back and groaned as I walked back into the crowd. The people of this town are so boring and naive, they think I can’t see them staring at my ears. I guess my short hair leaves nothing for imagination but that’s just rude. This is exactly why I don’t like coming down here, the people are such a bother. I finally made it back to the edge of Eternity Forest which I ventured thoroughly so there is nothing left to explore. This quiet life is just too boring for me and I haven’t found anything that could fix that. As I’m about halfway home Anik, my pet spirit fox, runs up to me and starts leisurely walking by my side. We start climbing up the long steps back the tree house as Burr, my pet thunder bear who stays the size of the average bear cub, comes flying up to me halfway up the stairs and landing on the other side of me from where Anik was. Climbing a little bit further the sound of heavy footsteps comes up behind our little group and I look behind me to Coldred, my twice their average size snow leopard with a small snowy trail behind him, I use him as a mount due to his large size and his control over ice and water come in handy sometimes as well.