5. Love Wins - Todd x Neil

(Semi-Modern AU) After learning about the legalization of same sex marriage in the US, the boys find a way to make the best of the day.

Author's Note: Happy Pride Month! (I noticed a lot of my one shots are pretty sad so I decided to write some happier ones, The next one isn't technically upbeat but I'm sure those of you who watch vine compilations like I do you'll enjoy it.)

• • •

Normally when Todd opened his eyes in the morning, he would find Neil curled up next to him, still completely asleep. But this morning, the opposite side of the bed was cold. The sheets were flipped over and his pajamas were scattered on the floor. He had left the apartment some time ago, and Todd wasn't sure when he'd come back.

He wasn't worried, completely, either. Whenever Neil left early in the morning, he would usually come back with some sort of gift. After their first night together, Neil left and came back with a box of donuts. Todd thought Neil was more likely to do something like that again, rather than leave him.

Todd forced himself out of bed and wandered into the kitchen. Everything in the kitchen was fairly modern, Neil had insisted on IKEA furniture, but Todd wanted to stick to a budget. So everything was nice, but nothing went together. He started to boil water in a tea kettle and noticed the newspaper laying on the kitchen table. The cover had a picture of a female couple embracing, the title read, "Love Wins!" Same sex marriage had been legalized in the United States.

He couldn't help himself from smiling. He felt like he had won a battle, like a whole army won. Sure it wasn't the war, but a major battle, and that was something to be celebrated. He wanted to be with Neil at that moment. They had talked about getting married before, but the timing never seemed right. Now seemed right.

The kettle whistled loudly as Todd heard the door being unlocked. "Todd?" He heard from behind him. He didn't think it through before running into his boyfriend's embrace. Both had wide smiles and bright ideas in their minds. Todd kissed him, Neil swore he could feel his heart burst as he remembered he was holding a box of scones. Todd forgot about the tea kettle in the kitchen as he led Neil into the bedroom, dropping the box of scones on their way.

• • •

"I thought we'd do something today, to celebrate," Neil whispered. They were always quiet when they were together, a habit that had started in Welton. They had always whispered to each other, they wouldn't let themselves get too loud. Which only made things difficult when they finally moved to New York. The couple was wrapped up in a soft, pale green blanket on their bed, with the scones resting at the foot of their bed. Todd had nuzzled himself under Neil's arm, he was practically asleep.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, let's spend the whole day together." Todd looked up at Neil, who was grinning at him. Todd nodded against him and closed his eyes.

"Can we celebrate in a few hours?"

Neil laughed, "sure, whenever."

"Lunch, let's start at lunch time."

• • •

Neil had forced Todd out of bed later that day. He made plans while Todd was asleep. Neil had established high hopes for the day and wouldn't let anything ruin it. Once Todd was ready, they took the Subway into Manhattan. Todd continuously asked questions but Neil wouldn't answer.