Sparks Fly

*riiiiing*

Oz's hand pushed through the door as the bell rang in tandem with their movements. They were out of breath after running across the quad to the sciences building and slumped over, panting lightly as they made their way to their desk. Taking their seat, they didn't notice until they looked up that many eyes in the room were looking intently at them! Why them?!

Oz then remembered who they shared a table with for sciences, Damien....and....they were wearing eachothers clothes. Damien had presumably also been late, as he always was to class out of habit, and now it looked like the two had been up to something over the lunch period!

They hung their head in shame and felt an oddly reassuring hand on their back.

"I...I'm not usually one for apologies, because feelings are dumb unless its pain! But.. I guess I'm sorry for slamming into you at lunch, and uh - thanks for the jumper." Damien said, softer than Oz had ever heard him talk, hesitant but grateful nonetheless, "but, can I please have my jacket back before people start asking questions? Thanks for finding it by the way." he added. Lost for words, Oz shucked off the jacket and speedily passed it over to the demon prince, quickly returning to hide their face in their hands afterwards. How embarrassing!

Paper slid under Oz's arms from the table next to them, it read 'DUDE WHY WERE YOU IN DAMIEN'S JACKET AND WHY IS HE WEARING JUST YOUR JUMPER?! YOU HAVE TO TELL ME EVERYTHING!' in big, exaggerated capital letters, the message was surrounded by doodles of hearts and a little shocked smiley face in the corner. It had to have been from Vicky, she always got super excited about things. Oz jotted down their answer that explained the escapades of the matter in short and took it in their hand to pass over to Vicky, who was still gazing over at Damien and Oz in amazement, well after the rest of the class had begun to focus on their projects. As they raised their hand to pass the note, it was swept out of their fingers and torn into tiny bits right before their eyes.

"You can't just tell her what happened! She'll tell everyone and ruin my totally cool, nothing ever goes wrong for me vibe" Damien snapped, "I have a reputation to uphold as a super badass prince of hell you know?" he remarked smuggly.

"Oh, sorry." Oz shrugged, looking up at the chalkboard to see what their assignment was. Damien had already set up all the necessary materials for their franken-frog experiment, but as Oz looked down at the slimy little dead thing, laying in the middle of the dissection tray, they became queasy. Even as the embodiment of the concept of fear, they still had their weaknesses.

"Well? Get on with it nerd, you're the one who actually pays attention in these damn classes!" Damien urged, shoving a scalpel into Oz's hand. Their hand shook as they hesitantly lowered the scalpel down into the frog's forehead, lightly making an incision for damien to take out and replace the brain. They held open the cut with tweezers as Damien took scissors to the flesh connecting the existing brain to the insides of the skull and cut it away with delicacy and ease.

"Wow you're really good with scissors!" the void smiled, admiring the clean and precise work Damien had carried out.

"Well....uh- DUH! They're stabby things, I'm good with sharp stuff! Obviously!" the prince replied, nervously placing the scissors back down on the table and picking up the new brain for their froggy friend.

Mrs Lamia strolled over to their table as the two were attaching the vitals of the frog to electrical pulse grips, preparing to re-animate their frog corpse.

"Excellent work you two! Damien I'm surprised, you're finally taking an interest in something other than destruction or setting things on fire!" the teacher praised, nodding and moving on to another table.

Once the pair had everything set up, Damien enthusiastically flipped the switch on the power box and they watched the frog shake and jolt back to life. "It's ALIIIIVE!" Oz joked, shaking their hands in a gripping motion over the frog and putting on a silly eccentric voice. "Wow, if I had a dollar for every time I heard that one!" Vicky joked, looking back at Oz from across the desktops and giggling. Oz smiled and looked back at their lab partner,

"Sweet! We did it! Who knew science was actually cool?!" Damien said proudly, raising his hand and holding it out for a high five. As Oz's hand collided with Damien's they felt a subtle moment of warmth, the demons red skin was hot and tingly, toasty like a fire but not scorchingly hot.

"We make a good team!" Oz smiled, jotting down their experiment results into their notebook.

"We sure do! That's gonna make this whole prank thing even better!" Damien cheered, clasping the stitched up frog to prevent it from hopping away.

They returned the frog to the terrarium together and gathered their things preparing for the end of class. Oz tucked away their pencils into their case as one flew off the edge of the table, but they heard no pencil drop to the floor.

"I gotcha!" Damien said, raising his tail that was wound around the pencil, and passing it to his hand and then to Oz.

"Gee thanks!" they said cheerfully, returning it to its case and packing it away with their things.