Chapter 5

Horikawa wakes up even before the alarm goes off, but his body still feels tired and heavy from the day before, so he allows himself five more minutes.

beep beep beep beep beep

The five minutes didn't help, and Horikawa forces himself up. Again, somehow, his husband has woken up before him. It's true, isn't it? Kane-san must be avoiding him. He sighs, and wonders where he went wrong. His past two years with Kane-san have been free of any troubles, maybe it's just that Horikawa has enjoyed too much happiness in his life until now. Maybe those two years used up all of his life's happiness. But that isn't true, and Horikawa is aware of it. He's had his fair share of troubles in the past, Kasen is right when he says that the boy is from a no name family. The Kunihiros-- it's a family of three, from as far back as Horikawa can remember, it's always been his eldest brother doing his best to support the younger two. While they did bounce around from one relative's house to another for a short few years, the brothers were quickly considered a burden, and left on their own.

But Horikawa doesn't complain about it, and he had never heard Yamabushi complain about it either. Even if things were difficult sometimes, and even though Horikawa was only an adopted brother, his small family was one full of love. Yes, all three brothers had always supported each other, regardless of the treatment from relatives. So Kasen's attitude towards Horikawa wasn't something he was entirely unused to, in fact, he'd experienced harsher in the past. And thinking about it now, the doctor's words from last night did not ring true at all. So what if Kasen did not love him? So what if he could not earn the love of Yagen himself, or of Midare. And even if Kane-san's affections had been running a little low, Horikawa had nearly forgotten the core of what was most important. No matter what happened, his brothers would always have his back, would always support him. Perhaps the city life had been too hectic for him, and had caused him to forget.

After completing his chores, Horikawa sits down at the sofa and calls back home. It's been much too long since he's heard either of his brothers voices, and he feels that they might be able to lend him a little bit of strength. The call isn't picked up instantly, but it's Yamanbagiri's soft voice that answers.

"Horikawa?" his second elder brother asks.

"Hello, Yamanba-nii!" Horikawa says cheerfully.

"It's been a while, you should call more --WHOA"

"Ka Ka Ka, is Yamanbagiri trying to hog our cute Horikawa to himself?"

Horikawa hears a faint murmur of complaint from Yamanbagiri at having the phone snatched from his hand, and can't help but laugh.

He hears Yamabushi laugh on the other side of the phone, and somehow, he already feels better.

"How have you been, little brother?"

"I'm good!" It's partially a lie, but his brothers don't need to know that.

"That's great! And what about your husband, is he treating you well?"

"Yes! Every day is lovey dovey, like a dream." This is entirely a lie, and Horikawa feels guilt bubble up in his chest. When did he become such a proficient liar?

"Well, if that Kanesada ever does anything to make our cute Horikawa cry, just let us know. Big brother will handle it!"

"Nii-chan!!" Horikawa gasps.

They talk for another twenty minutes, and Horikawa promises that he'll visit them soon with Kane-san. He wants to keep talking longer, but receives another call. He tells his brothers goodbye, and answers the call.