Prologue

There's always a period of curious fear between the first sweet-smelling breeze and the time when the rain comes cracking down

Don DeLiollo

Alma sighed loudly, flipping through her notebook for what felt like the hundredth time. The sound of the clock above her tick tick ticking away. "Where is she?" An aggravated voice called. Alma looked up suddenly, letting her notebook drop to the metal table. Agnete, a tall, skinny blonde, slumped down into the chair next to Alma, they both turned to look at Agnete's girlfriend, Gaby, walk up and down the hallway with her phone to her ear, trying to get ahold of the only missing member of their group, Simone. "Fuck!" Abbott yelled, his head in his hands, as Gabby put her phone back in her bag and dropped into the seat next to him. "The exam is in 30 seconds!" he cried.

"It's not like her to be late." Alma sighed.

"She'll be here," Agnete said trying to lighten the mood. 

"What do we do?" Abbott worried. "We're all gonna flunk."

"Seriously?" Gabby said with a sour look on her face. Agnete sent her a smile but even her eyes were filled with worry.  Suddenly the door to the exam hall opened and the examiner stuck his head out. "Are you ready?" 

The group looked around nervously. "Two minutes," Abbott said quickly. "I have to... Use the bathroom."

"Two minutes or you'll have to take the exam again." The examiner said before closing the door behind him. 

"Fuck." Gabby stood up, frustrated just as Agnete spotted Simone rushing down the hallway. "Hey!" She yelled, sliding into the seat opposite the others. 

"How's it going, Simone?" Alma said sarcastically, pulling down her hoodie and sitting up. Simone rolled her eyes. "We'll make it." She pulled out sheets of paper from her bag. 

"Can I see?" Gabby asked.

"I've just changed it a bit and indicated who says what," Simone explained. "It's not hard." Gabby passed a sheet to Agnete. "You take the presentation," Simone said passing a sheet to Alma. 

The redheaded girl chuckled. "You're insane."

"Simone, you're awesome." Agnete smiled at her. 

Abbott looked at his sheet of paper confused. "What do I talk about? I don't get it."

"You talk about the water," Simone explained, smiling at him. "Easy-peasy." 

"Just say what is written," Alma said pointing at his sheet. 

"Simone, we owe you a million," Agnete said.