Daniel smiled, I could see his eyes crinkling in what little light the moon offered.

"Do what you want Sandy. You have such a long and beautiful life left."

"I don't know what I want to do."

"What brings you joy?"

That was a question that threw me off track. I didn't know what brought my continuous joy. There were moments were I was happy but they were only minimal.

"You."  right now that's all I could think of. He brought me joy, pain, anguish and everything in between. But being by his side all I wanted was to be in the present. 

There was a frown on his face, and he turned his head to look towards the water. 

Suddenly it was all cold.

"Sandy...there's some things I need to tell you."

"Tell me."

"I don't know how."

"You do know how. You just don't want to talk. That's always been the same with you Dannie." I mocked him using the same words he did. The corners of his lips lifted but the smile didn't reach his eyes and I suddenly started to worry.

"What is it?" I asked. 

"There's something that I have been hiding from you. I wanted to tell you but Alex told me that you weren't ready for it. I don't know if you are either but I don't want you to resent me for telling you but I don't want you to loathe me for hiding it from you either. But most of all I can't sit here beside you knowing this,"

"What are you talking about?" I asked confused. I reached out for him but he moved his hand away.

"Sandy...where do you think I have been for the past two or three years nearly now?"

I shrugged "I don't know." 

I was confused at his reaction, why he wouldn't look at me in the eye. Instead he stared out into the water, his eyes downcast. If it wasn't for him talking I would have believed he was fast asleep.

"Just tell me." I said after he said nothing. It must have been something big if he was feeling such turmoil inside of him, I could almost hear his heart beat racing fast.

"What do you know about your parents?"

My breathe hitched, "I uh...not much. Why are we talking about them now?"

"Because Sandy...they're still alive. And I know where they are."

My breathe stopped. 

How was one meant to even meant to reply to that. I felt the tightening of my throat, I cleared it, "I um. I think you're mistaken. I'm pretty sure they died. Alex told me-,"

"Alex lied!"

I frowned and I wasn't sure if it was to keep the tears behind my eyes from falling, "Why would Alex lie to me?"

"He didn't mean any harm. It was for your best but I can't keep silent when I know you want to know what happened to them. They're alive Sandy. I saw them."

"You must be mistaken" I said giving a nervous laugh, "There's no way...I heard the story I mean I am pretty sure someone showed me an article that said that they were dead Daniel. You simply must have seen maybe a relative or something?"

Daniel sighed taking out something from the pocket of his jacket.

My eyes focused on the white piece of envelope in his hands.

"This came last night, after the judgement. Alex didn't want to give it to you but, I think you deserve to know." he handed the piece of envelope towards me.

"They had to leave Sandy. It wasn't because they didn't love you but a lot went on when Jonathan was younger. Your parents uncovered that he killed the Queen, the one buried in the hedges and that Jax was never the real heir. They had to go to save you and Alex. I don't know the full story themselves but they really do love you."

I looked at the envelope not sure if I should take it or not. I spent my whole life wondering where they were, if they were still alive. At the back of my head I always knew they were but now that there was proof I didn't want to know. You spend your whole life loving the things that just hurt you in the end.

And knowing this did that.

Daniel placed the envelope beside me and stood up, "I'll talk to you tomorrow."

I watched him walk away, without him looking back once and that hurt.

I looked at the envelope narrowing my eyes at it, was this a joke? A prank? Was I being filmed?

I reached for the envelope that was still warm. 

I looked at my name in cursive writing on the front. It was immaculate. I turned the envelope over, it was unopened.

I frowned looking at it before I couldn't take it anymore and I opened it. Inside was a very small card, minuscule with less than a sentence written on it.

We are proud of you. Mum and Dad

I frowned.

Is this real?

Can I believe this?

And if so, Why now? Why did they choose to come back now? Is it because Jonathan was gone? Did they want something?

Why did Alex lie to me?

And then I realised the best way to kill someone was to fill their heart with so much hope that they would be devastated.