Believe Me

[Unrevised. 5 Years Old. Prepare for inconsistencies with previous chapters.]

Maurice was frazzled. Since the war broke out between the troop and the humans, he's only felt more and more weak with each turn or twist the battle took. Each death, gunshot, and explosion felt as if it killed a part of him, too. He knew Koba was their leader now, but the bonobo was nothing like Caesar, and even though Maurice wasn't sure if that was his reason, he could not follow Koba like he had their previous king. At least, not into something like this. Maurice did hold respect and care for Koba, but the part that he praised only seemed to show itself when Caesar was around - that is, Caesar or Haley. But Caesar was dead and Haley was missing, and this fight - the killing - Maurice couldn't allow for it. And he paid for that decision as soon as he made it, as others did as well. When he and the council were escorted away from the troop, as if they were nothing but harrier humans, none of them faught. Somehow, they all knew exactly what will happen if they refused to kill. But despite his resolve, Maurice's steps felt heavier than they've felt in a long time. He knew the inside of a cage quite well and wasn't excited to be back in one. He spent his life locked up while he was with the large tent that humans called a circus - it wasn't pleasant at all. And so, it took a lot out of each member of the council to escort themselves into the strange metallic container at gunpoint. First, Maurice had thought it looked funny for an ape to hold a gun, but when his life was put in the balance, his amusement quickly dwindled.

And then came Haley. Seeing the human girl watching him in horror from a few yards away tore at the orangutan's heart. Humans were weak creatures - they broke so easily, whether that be their minds or bodies - and although Haley was excellent at feigning strength to an intimidating height, Maurice never forgot: she was still human. It tore at his heart for Haley to see him and the others chained to the inside of the strange metal beast like crazed animals. Haley cared too much - it made her careless, reckless, and impulsive. The thick and deep dark circles that were carved under her tired, dreary eyes were all the proof anyone needed to reach the same conclusion he had, and it turns out, that was already the case. The makeshift prison shook viciously with the uproar that broke out when Haley disappeared into building to go find Koba. Rocket screeched after the girl, wordlessly telling her to come back. Luca pulled against his restraints with all the power his giant body still had left, and pointlessly kept going when he did nothing but shake the container. They all knew that Haley was on more than just thin ice with Koba - he was definitely in a state that he would kill her if she challenged him in front of everyone. Maurice was more than frazzled, he was petrified.

Eventually, the council calmed down, but the tension in the air made it clear that not a single ape's anxiety was gone for good, if gone at all. Maurice's bright but tiny green eyes stayed glued to the construction shapes at the top of the building where Koba was, gibbering every few minutes as if he was praying that Haley was alright. He hoped that, just this once, Haley realized her limits, even if he knew that his hope was misplaced. Haley always pushed her limits into dangerous territory, no matter what people told her she couldn't handle - it was something that both terrified and impressed Maurice. Even Rocket once admitted to Maurice it was something he admired.

"Strong human," The chimp had signed by the fire after a particularly challenging hunt. Apparently, Haley had broken away from the hunting party to kill something else, to save the mother bear they were stalking. In the end, before they could succeed, she had killed enough small animals that it gave them more meat than the bear would have. She explained that there were more of those creatures in the forest, so they needed less protection. "Not like how other humans are strong," Rocket continued and punched his chest gently, "Strong heart." Maurice could be mistaken, but he thought it was after that when Rocket kept a more careful watch over the human in their troop.