Before

"Steve," Peggy smiled as she held her hand out toward him, "Dance with me."

Steve stood there shocked. Peggy looked beautiful, standing there in front of him. Her eyes danced with starlight as she watched him. Everything about her was perfect.

"Peggy." He breathed.

A smile played on her lips. Steve took her hand and pulled her to him. He wrapped an arm around her waist, keeping her pressed against him. He could feel every part of her. The way her hips pressed against him, the way her breast felt against his chest, the way her heartbeat was even. Her heartbeat, it was the sound of angels war drums. So beautiful, yet signalling the beginning of something fierce.

Steve held Peggy against him until the song ended. He let go of her waist so that he could see her face. It was just as he remembered. The way her eyes faded from a delicate soft brown that would remind anyone of their mother's homemade cookies to a hardened coal colour that could put the fear of God in anyone. The way her lips were always on the edge of a smile, but could never quite get there. The way that her face was set by war and love.

"Peggy," Steve started, but his bottom lip began to quiver. 

She smiled and placed her hand over his mouth. "Shh, I know." She cooed. "I need you to be strong. Can you do that for me?"

Tears were running down his face as he nodded. 

"Steve, you have to be strong. You have to protect your family, you have to protect yourself. You were always meant for something great and I believe in you. I believe in you." She whispered. She left her hand on his cheek and Steve covered it with his.

"I love you," He lamented.

"And I you." She said fondly.

Steve gathered her in his arms, his head buried in her hair.

"Don't leave me." He cried.

"I haven't left you." She placed her hand above his heart. "I'm right here."

He hugged her tightly as they were both swallowed by a black mist.