Chapter Thirteen: Kill the night away (ep 1:10).

Start from the beginning

His face was worried and mournful and he immediately grabbed a towel to throw toward me. I grabbed it out of the air and started cleaning my face and drying my hair. “You know how long it’s going to take to get this cleaned. What’s wrong with you?” “I’m sorry, I didn’t know what I was doing,” he muttered, but in the corner of my eye, I saw Alaric throw something brown and linear in his desk.

“What’s that?” I asked quickly and rushed towards the desk drawer and pulled it open. Between the papers, notebooks and staplers, there was a clean cut wooden stake. A less fancier one (actually a broken broom) than the one I had used to kill Vicki. I looked up to him and his shocked gaze. My memory did not fail me when I remembered the family ring I had seen on his finger the first lesson. A lapis, for sure.

I grabbed his and tore his ring of his finger, making use of the element of surprise I had in my advantage. The sun rays were shining through the window and fell on his back. No smoke. No fire. No vampire. We were staring at each other, still stiff of the tension. “Was that vervain?” I asked. A small nod. “Well, that’s disgusting. You thought I was a vampire? How?” I asked, spitting out the questions like crazy.

“Can you blame me, you tried to burn me!” I made a short laughing sound. “Well, the ring was kinda a giveaway. But then again, you tried to vervain and stake me.” Alaric looked over my head through the window of the classroom on the door. “My next class’s here. Look, you need to come back here in the break, we need to talk.” “You’re kidding,” I said sarcastically.

“Look you’re going to be late, I’m going to be late. Meet me here during lunch.” “You seriously think I care about being late? You tried to kill me, I think we can discuss this right here and now.” “Calla, I can’t just bail class. Other than you, I’ve got some sense of responsibility.” I chuckled. I just couldn’t help it. “How were you going to dispose a vampire body before the next class came in then?” I asked.

“For me, this changes a lot, Alaric. My terms. After school at the Grill, before the entire career event.” He sighed. “Sure, you’re right. I’m sorry, Calla.” “You better be. I’m actually doubting that you’re not as bad as Tanner at the moment, so you better be.”

With those words I raced out of the room, passing by Alaric’s next group of students, casually ignoring them like hell. Then, after the hall was silent and empty again (not that that had taken a long time, Alaric had been right, I was damn late), I got my phone out of my bag and dialled a number that I had promised myself I would ignore.

Before he even had had a chance to say something, I started talking: “Look, strangely enough, all I’ve been doing lately is calling guys I hate and bailing class, so today’s not an exception. Stefan, we need to talk. As in, right now!” The conversation that followed consisted mostly of times and places and nods.

I told him goodbye and raced towards my car in the parking lot to head out to the Salvatore boarding house. As a climbed the stairs to the door, I saw Damon talking with Sheriff Forbes in hushes voices on the veranda. I tried to get Damon to notice my WTF-look, but he was talking with his back against the veranda. I sighed and let myself in. Damon would have to wait.

Stefan was waiting for me in the humongous living room of the house. “Thank god you called, I was trying to get a hold of you for ages,” he started. I held up my hand in a stop gesture and he shut up. “I’m not here for that. I’m here to talk about a little problem I encountered fifteen minutes ago. It’s about Alaric. He thought I was a vampire.”

“No offence Calla, but everybody who knows Damon will assume such thing.” “My point exactly. Damon has no friends. The only people who know Damon’s a vampire, are vampires themselves. Or they are deceased.  Alaric’s neither.” “Are you sure?” Stefan asked worriedly. “100% I tried to burn him in the sun.”