Age Five: Nose Stuck in a Book

Rothkalina, 917 C.E. 

I grunted and readjusted the massive book in my arms. The hallway to my parents solar was painstakingly long, but the subject wracking my brain demanded answers. 

Gently placing the book on the floor, I gave a tentative knock on the door. A faint, "Enter." could be heard from the other side. Clearing my throat I said, "I can't reach, Papa."

The sound of loud footfalls came from the other side. Swooping down to lug the book back into my arms, I waited impatiently for the door to swing open. My father beamed as he smiled down at me, "How's my Princess?" He opened his arms for me but I straightened my back as I gave him an annoyed look.

"We have something to discuss, Papa." I breezed past him to enter his solar. "You can call me Princess later."

I heard a muffled cough that sounded suspiciously like a chuckle. "My apologies, what do you wish to discuss, Zoe?" 

Giving a small grunt as I placed the book on the desk, I climbed in his chair so I could reach. I flipped through the pages until I came upon the passage in question. "This text says that the Battle of Abbadon was fought against the Rage Demons and the Death Demons, but you and other texts have said the the Fire Demons were there as well. The text neg-leg to mention that and I want to write them a letter to tell them they're wrong." 

Father came around to stand behind the chair to look at the passage in question. "You're right, they don't mention it at all."

I pulled out the letter I had already written. "Then send this to the Lorean History and Archae-logical Society."

He read the letter and said in a surprised tone, "Zoe, this letter is five pages long and you have citations."

"Rydstrom helped me write it, but I told him what I wanted it to say." I said, turning to look at him. "But I can't send the letter because I'm too young." I looked at my hands, "And I don't know the address."

My father was silent for a while and then he replied, "I'll send it this afternoon."

I stood in the chair and grinned at him. "Thank you, Papa."

A soft smile spread across his face. "Of course, Zoe."

I held up my arms, "Okay, I'm Princess again." 

-------

Gideon's POV (Zoe's father)

"Our five year old sent a written lashing to an author of a textbook." I said in awe as my female joined me in bed.

Ileana laid her head on my shoulder, "I know, I heard her telling Rydstrom what to write."

I chuckled, "I dread her teens then. Last thing I need is a ten page paper on why I'm wrong and she's right." We sat in silence for a time before I said aloud. "The Academy is impressed. They have actually offered to let Zoe visit their campus in Rome."

"Well, don't tell her till the afternoon tomorrow. You know she will want to leave as soon as you tell her." She said, snuggling closer. "We have a tiny genius on our hands."