CH 16: The Third Year

Beginne am Anfang

"Then why did you make me marry him?"

"Not me. Your father."

"I was in love...and...and he took that away from me."

"Nica...you may not believe me but I understand."

"You don't love dad," Toni scoffed. 

"Just like how you don't love Kyle."

"Kyle is the...the biggest ass I have ever met."

"Nica-"

"I can't even stand up for myself. I just let him do whatever he wants."

"You know..." Kelsey began, not sure how to tell Toni her thoughts, "Joseph looks just like his father."

Toni cut her eyes to her mother, "You don't even know-"

"You think I didn't notice his eyes or his hair. I've met the boy, Antonia. I know you love him."

Toni felt a tear streak down her face. "You can't tell," she whispered. She knew her mother was good with secrets. More than she could ever imagine.

Kelsey took out her notepad and grabbed a pen from the small table beside the couch. She wrote down some information before folding the paper and tucking it into Toni's bra.

"I'm a coward and knowing that... I want you to know the truth about...everything." Kelsey laid a hand on the side of Toni's face and whispered, "You're a big girl but you're still my baby."

Toni wearily nodded, not even questioning her mothers actions.

Kelsey gripped Toni's chin and angled her face as Toni winced. "And the next time that asshole hits you, come to me, understood?"

"Yes, ma'am."

***

The little sad face on the pregnancy test made Toni breath out. 

She wasn't pregnant.

With everything going on right now it would only get worse bringing a baby into the house.

Two and a half years...

"Mommy I play with Rory," Joseph whined.

"I'm sorry baby, Rory just left," Toni sadly smiled. Toni thought it was sort of cute how Joseph was desperate to play with his 'little sister'--maybe because she was the only baby he knew besides himself--but it couldn't always happen. Raquel was obsessed with her baby and hell-bent on keeping Kyle home with the two of them any time she could. Toni would be all for it if Joseph didn't whine for him too.

"Why?"

"Her mommy has to put her to bed just like your mommy has to," she said, picking him up and going up the steps.

"Where daddy?"

"I wish I knew," Toni mumbled, changing Joseph into his pajamas. "Now, are you gonna go to the bathroom tonight instead of wetting the bed?"

He sadly nodded, his cheeks flushing a pretty pink. Toni has been trying to potty train him. She started when she noticed Joseph trying to take off his pamper to pee. He did...on the floor. That was a few weeks ago and since then she has been determined to get him on the big potty. 

"I try b-but it scary."

"You say you're a big boy and big boys use the big potty."

"O-okay."

Toni tucked him in and kissed his forehead. "You know mommy loves you."

"I love you too, mommy."

Kyle came home three hours later. A stumbling mess.