Chapter Five: Perception

"Princess Arden." The words felt like a death sentence, her heart dropping to her toes as a set of indigo eyes bore into hers curiously. "I thought you father asked you to remain in the palace while he was away..." His head tilted, his gaze examining her head to toe. "You ruined your dress too. The king won't be pleased..."

"Perception." She kept her poker face carefully in place, knowing a slight movement could easily give the game away. "My apologies. I didn't think you worked for my father."

"Cut the sass, little lass." He folded his arms across the dark dress shirt he wore. "Do you need me to escort you back to the palace?" One eyebrow rose, two calculating eyes staring down at her, not missing the way her jaw clenched. He'd been one of the Virtues who'd spoken with her on occasion, so Arden had no doubt he could read her like a book. He was familiar with her quirks and mannerisms, which didn't bode well for her. He was called Perception for a reason, gifted with powers beyond most people's comprehension by the indigo star he was named after.

"I'll be staying out here, thank you very much." She held up her hand, scowling as it trembled. "I know I need to be back before dark."

"But will you?" His words left little doubt in her mind. He knew.

She steeled herself, forcing her eyes to meet his. "Of course. Why wouldn't I?" She smiled gently, careful not to force the grin too far up her lips.

"Hn."

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be on my way." Arden said, stepping to the side, freezing when his hand landed on her shoulder with a resounding thud.

"Would you mind introducing me to your friend first?" Indigo eyes flickered over to where her partner in crime waited, just about visible in the shadows of the treeline. "I'm curious as to what company the princess keeps while her parents are out."

"Zariana." The blonde stepped into the light, half her golden locks expertly concealing her missing eye, while the other pink one stared back at the man. A small smile twitched at her lips, watching as Perception froze, taking in the sight of her and Arden paused.

She stared at the look of confusion on his face, slowly shuffling out of his grip as Zariana walked towards her. "Come on, Zari." Arden grinned, recovering quickly, having spied the involuntary twitch at the sound of the new nickname. "We need to go and explore."

"No."

Arden froze, her heart beating thunderously as Perception placed a hand at his waist, fingers curling around the indigo fabric wrapped around the blade's hilt. "I'm sorry?"

"This girl isn't your friend, Arden... and she'll stab you in the back the second you're alone..."

She stiffened. "What are you on about, Percy?"

"How many times do I have to tell you...? Don't call me that." He said, not taking his eyes off the girl in front of him as he drew his blade. "Now go back to the palace. Running away was a stupid idea... Honestly, even if I hadn't noticed, Humility would've – and then you would've had Courage or Generosity on your tail."

"And here I thought you lot hated me..."

"We listen to both the King and the Stars." He sighed. "We'd have been ordered to drag you back, no matter the cost."

"Joy."

"She'd have been sent after you too."

"Arden." Zariana's voice brought her back to the reality of the situation. "Tell me where to go, OK?"

"What're you planning?" Perception growled, glaring daggers at her, readying himself for an attack which never came.

Instead she darted past him, glowing pink lines weaving their way up her legs as she enhanced her speed in seconds. Arden was in her arms, blinking as the two of them cleared the length of the forest in a matter of moments.

"Enhancement magic..." She breathed, marvelling at the sight of the map of straight jagged lines crisscrossing her legs.

"You can be amazed later." Zariana said, staring at the tall white stone wall rapidly looming in front of them. "Where's the exit?"

"The tunnel."

Her eyes narrowed. "That'll be blocked."

"Trust me." Arden's gaze narrowed, one arm looped around her rescuer's neck, the other pointing towards the small entranceway.

Perception was right on their tail, chasing after the two of them in a purple flash, matching markings woven over his own legs as he raced into the tunnel shortly after them... only to find a set of unbroken bars blocking his way, with neither Zariana nor Arden in sight.

They'd disappeared.