Breathing

Archeologist Laboratory
Felix took a small breath, not daring to believe. He felt a searing pain. There was a bright light above his closed eyes. He took another breath, a deeper one. He heard running footsteps.

"Holy crap!" A voice said. "Tullia, go get Mr. Mason!"

"Why--"

"Just get him!"

Felix tried to open his eyes, but the light was too bright.

"περίμενε." The voice said. (Hold on.)

Footsteps. The light dimmed. More footsteps.

"εκεί. μπορείτε να ανοίξετε τα μάτια σας τώρα?" (There. Can you open your eyes now?)

Felix opened his eyes. There, staring at him, was a boy about 16.

"μπορώ εσείς ΜΙΛΑ ρ?" The boy asked. (Can you talk?)

Felix managed one word, "νε...ρό." (Wa...ter.)

"σωστά!" (Right!) The boy ran over to a circular thingie and got a cylindrical thing, filling it with water. He ran back, and gave the thing to Felix. He gulped the water down.

"ευχαριστώ. um...τι είναι αυτό το?" (Thank you. Um... What is this thing?)

"What did he say, Felix? You're the one who speaks Greek!"

"He said thank you and asked what the cup was. He's from a different time period, you know."

The girl snorted, and said something else in a language Felix didn't understand. He tugged on the boy's shirt.

"τι είπε?" (What did she say?)

The boy winced, "κάποια αγενής πράγματα." (Some very rude things.)

Then the boy smiled. " Πώς σε λένε?" (What's your name?) He asked.

"Felix," Felix responded.

The boy grinned. "δροσερός! αυτό είναι το όνομά μου!" (Cool! That's my name!)

Someone called to Felix. Felix looked apologetically at Felix. "Συγνώμη. Πρέπει να φύγω. Επιστρέφω αργότερα!" (Sorry. Gotta go. Be back later!)

"αντίο." (Bye.)  Felix responded.

And the other Felix left. Felix sat up, looked to his right, and almost had a heart attack. There was Tullia, laying on a table beside him. He jumped off, unaware the girl had walked in, an older man with her. He walked to Tullia, and shook her shoulder.

"Tullia, Ξύπνα!" (Tullia, wake up!)  She didn't respond.

"Tullia?" Felix shook her again.

"Tullia! Ξύπνα!" (Tullia! Wake up!) He was crying now.

The older man walked up, and touched his shoulder. Felix turned, startled.

"δεν θα ξυπνήσει!" (She won't wake up!)

The older man had a confused look on his face, and said something to the girl. She ran out. A moment later, she ran back in, the other Felix following. He ran to Felix.

"τι τρέχει?" (What's wrong?) He asked.

Felix motioned to Tullia. "δεν θα ξυπνήσει!" (She won't wake up!)

The other Felix frowned. "ποτέ δεν θα, Felix."  He said gently. (She'll never wake up, Felix."

"πρέπει να υπάρχει ένας τρόπος!" (There has to be a way!) Felix shouted.

"καλά ... δεν υπάρχει θεραπεία." (Well... There's a cure.)

"που?" (Where?)

"το παλιό σας σπίτι. Πρέπει να σας στείλουμε πίσω στο χρόνο." (Your home. We have to send you back in time.)

"Θα το κάνω!" (I'll do it!) Felix said.

"Εντάξει. είναι εδώ τι πρέπει να..." (Okay. Here's what we have to do...)