He looked up at the coffee maker to see it mostly full. He sighed and went over to pour himself a cup. He kept it black, there wasn't any need for anything more. He sat at the table, facing the TV. News story after news story. It was always the same: war here, war there, someone died, someone didn't have rights. The world was still fighting the same battles they were decades ago, they just didn't notice it. Everything was different enough to not notice, but how?

At that moment the door opened at Nat walked in. "I have cinnamon rolls!" she announced. She looked over at the couch to see Steve still there. "Shit, sorry."

Bucky waved it off. "It's fine."

Nat sat the bag on the table and sat across from him. "The news is depressing, you shouldn't watch it."

"Yeah, I noticed." He mumbled. Then after looking at Nat, he stated, "You have a hangover."

"We all should, we each drunk a half bottle of tequila."

"No, but you've been squinting. You don't have sunglasses."

"Well, I wasn't planning on drinking so much." She said innocently.

"Bullshit," Bucky spat, "you bought 3 bottles."

"True."

A quiet voice from the couch mumbled, "Language" earning a laugh from Nat.

"Shut up, Steve." Bucky shot at the half-asleep man.

The blond male sat up and rubbed his eyes. "Coffee?"

"Yeah, a half pot." 

Steve got up and staggered to the kitchen for a cup. Still half asleep he fumbled with the pot of coffee.

"Morning everyone," Steve grumbled when he had the full cup in his hand. He looked at the bag on the table, "May I?"

"Yeah." Nat handed him the bag. "It's what I got them for."

"Thanks."

The three of them ate the cinnamon rolls in silence. It wasn't awkward, it was tired. Each had been extended and hadn't regained their energy. However, it was comfortable.  Between friends, it's uncommon to enjoy the moments without noise, but for the three of them, who had gone through so much together, any silence was welcome.

Nat looked down at her watch. "Well, shit. I have to go."

She stood up quickly, grabbing her coffee and her purse. Steve stood up following her to the door, Bucky on his heels. 

Natasha turned, handing Steve the key. "It has been fun." She paused looking out into the hallway. "Be careful, winter's not over yet."

With that she spun on her heels, walking quickly down the hall. Shocked, Steve closed the door, watching it swing into its place.

"That's not good," Bucky whispered.

Steve turned to look him in the eye. "What was that?"

Bucky frowned, "We're not out of the fire."

Steve gave him a questioning look but didn't press any further.

"Steve?" Bucky's voice was full of desperation. He tried to keep his voice level, but it wasn't working out. "Steve, I think we should leave."

Steve turned slowly. The way Bucky was talking, something was wrong. Very wrong.

"Steve, we need to leave." Bucky started to panic. How could he get Steve to come with him if he couldn't tell him what was wrong?

"Bucky, whats wrong." Steve was starting to panic too. 

Bucky looked at him, fear dominate in his eyes. "Please, Steve. I need you to trust me."

"Okay. What do you need?"

"Grab a backpack, fill it with whatever you need." His voice was rushed and uneven, but his body remained calm. "Go, do that."

Steve obeyed and went to their room to grab a backpack. He filled it with some clothes, a phone, useful toiletries, and a gun. He walked out, to see the other male grabbing a full backpack from under a loose floorboard. Steve went to the door, took the keys off the hook,  and waited for Bucky. Bucky grabbed the bag that had contained the cinnamon rolls and both of their wallets.

Steve put his hand on the doorknob. 

"Stop." Bucky hissed.

Steve tensed and held his breath. There were footsteps in the hall, then some muttering, and a light tap on the door. Steve looked at Bucky, who made a motion to lock the door. As Steve did so, Bucky brought one of their chairs and rested it under the doorknob as a barrier. 

"Open up!" The voice yelled from the other side of the door, which was followed by a heavy nock.

Bucky grabbed Steve's wrist and pulled him to the window. Below was the fire escape. Steve carefully opened the window and climbed out. Bucky followed. The moment that his feet touched the metal of the fire escapes the door was busted open.

"Hey, you!" A tall burly man in a black suit yelled pointing at them. "Stop!"

Bucky shut the window and the two men descended the fire escape. When they got to the ground a group of men in suits yelled at them. They started running toward them but Steve and Bucky ran down the alley and around the corner. They came to a crowded street, people just minding their own business, trying to get to where they were going.

Steve and Bucky slowed down, blending into the crowds. "Buck, What the hell?" Steve demanded.

Bucky sighed. "Natasha warned us." He slid his hand into Steve's. "How did they find us? We were so careful."

Steve squeezed Bucky's hand reassuringly. They walked to the bus station and before going in to purchase tickets, Bucky put his hat on and Steve pulled his hood up. No one noticed or bothered to say anything about the two.

When they were seated on the bus Bucky lay his head on Steve's shoulder. "I'm sorry."

Steve put his arm around him. "We'll be okay. I'll protect us."

"I don't think you can." Bucky whispered, his voice lacking life, "At this point, it will be a miracle if we even make it to tomorrow."

"Well," Steve cooed, "Have a little faith because I promise that I'll protect you. I can't lose you again."

"Okay, Stevie. Whatever you say."

The bus lurched forward, marking the beginning of a new chapter in their lives, whether or not they wanted it to start.