.1

grayson's pov

"yo gray, we're here." ethan said snapping me out of my thoughts. it was the first day back from our winter break, a lot had happened since we left. first of all i lost a bet with ethan, and blonde hair, nose piercing, and a shaved eyebrow is what i got out of it.

i wasn't happy to look like a real life punk edit, but the blonde hair was growing on me. i decided to keep the nose ring in, it didn't look too bad. i quickly shoved my black sweatshirt on feeling how cold it was.

i got out of the car resting my backpack on my shoulder. ethan and i walked up to the gates meeting up with a few of our football friends before we walked inside. we made small talk before the bell rang.

once the bell rang ethan and i made our way to our first class of the day which happened to be anatomy. ethan and i found our seats in the back of the classroom, school came easy to ethan and i.

not too many people knew that. it's not exactly the biggest accomplishment but, it comes in handy. a few minutes into our new lesson the principal came in with a gorgeous girl. she must be new.

i elbowed ethan in the ribs nodding with my head towards the new girl. she held her books tightly into her chest. "hello mrs.ryan's, students. this is our new student piper mitchell. please do your best to make her feel welcomed." he said quickly whispering something to the teacher.

she responded as ethan and i looked at each other. "ok piper you can choose your seat." mrs.ryan's said kindly. she nodded her head as she quickly scanned the open lab seats. she made her way to the back of the classroom.

she chose an empty lab seat to the left of ethan and mine's. "you can sit here if you want." ethan whispered making her look up from her notebook. she lightly nodded her head. "ok if you change your mind let me know." ethan responded.

as the lesson went on i kept thinking about her. was she really shy? or was there something i was missing. once mrs.ryan's finished her lesson we had free time, since eth and i finished our homework i decided to talk to piper.

"hey i'm grayson. can i see your schedule?" i asked. she nodded silently taking her schedule out her pocket. she was wearing a gray hoodie with ripped jeans with checkered vans. her hair was straightened out as it cascaded down her back.

i glanced over her schedule smiling. "we have all of our classes together. that's cool." i said handing her schedule back. she replied with a small smile and continued doing her work. "so piper where did you move from?" i asked.

she didn't respond however she wrote on her paper, "arizona." i raised my eyebrows in confusion. did she not have a voice? "is everything ok? or is it just the nerves of being a new student?" i asked hoping she would talk.

she didn't respond just kept working on her homework. "grayson. leave the poor girl alone." mrs.ryan's called making the class laugh. i rolled my eyes and found my seat again. "yo does she talk?" ethan asked.

i shook my head, "i don't think so." the bell rang, piper quickly rose out of her seat leaving the classroom. i grabbed my bag quickly following her. "i can show you where our next class is if you want." i said looking down at her.

she was about 5'5, being a couple of inches shorter than me. she simply nodded her head then quickly looking back down. i weaved through the halls as she followed closely not wanting to get lost.

we found our way to our second class of the day which happened to be english. the teacher was one of my favorites. "hey mr.t, this is the new student piper." i said as she showed a little wave. "oh yes, i've heard all about you." mr.t said smiling.

she didn't say anything she just kept looking down. "well, i'm mr.tewston. you can just call me mr.t alright piper?" he asked earning a nod from piper. "well there are several seats open in the back if you would like to sit there." mr.t suggested.

piper nodded once again as she made her way to the back corner of the classroom sitting down once the bell rang. "what did you mean by you've heard a lot about her?" i asked turning to mr.t. "all of her teachers received an email about her." he responded.

i raised my eyebrows signaling him to keep going. "she doesn't speak. she's mute." he said sighing once the words left his mouth. my mouth slowly dropped open. "her mother said she's had a really rough past." he said.

"did she say what?" i asked. "no. her mother is not home enough to understand why. her mom has piper and a junior sister to care for." mr.t responded. "is her sister mute?" i asked. "grayson you ask too many questions. but, no she speaks. now sit down the bell rang." mr.t said laughing.

i found my way to my seat which ironically was right next to piper's. "ironic." i whispered to piper. she just rolled her eyes shoving my elbow off of her desk. "you know piper, whether you like it or not we are going to be friends." i said focusing my attention to the board.

'

the day was finally over. piper had still not said a word to me or anyone else, not like i was expecting her to. i was curious about her back story. as i made my way to the jeep i saw piper hug a younger girl.

it dawned on me that it was piper's little sister. "hold on e, i'll be right back." i said slapping his chest running over towards piper. "hey piper. it was good to meet you today." i said smiling. she flashed a small grin.

piper nudged her sister as her sister looked up from my phone. "hi i'm grayson. i met piper today." i said sticking out my hand. "nice to meet you grayson. i'm lane. piper's sister." she said shaking my hand, "thank you for being kind to piper."

"of course." i responded not knowing what else to say. "i guess i'll see you tomorrow bye piper." i said smiling running back to ethan. i looked back to see lane elbowing piper in the stomach as piper let out a faint laugh.

there was something that drew me to piper, even though she didn't talk there was something about her. something, special.