He Is King

Frank used to sing in the church choir, and still his first instinct in an empty world is to sing a hymn; sing a praise to the God who creates worlds. He's a ruddy farmhand; a quarrelsome cabby; a good Christian man, and no doubt his wife is in harmony with him.

In their new world, their new kingdom, their instinct is still to praise God - however he fits into this. The words Aslan said to him resound in Frank's head: It is well, and when a hymn comes to mind, he doesn't know whether to write it off as coincidence. When peace like a river attendeth my way... It is well, it is well with my soul.

The way Aslan spoke to those children strikes something in Frank and Helen - "Son of Adam," he said. This Lion knew Adam, or of Adam, in a world without Adam. "Son of Adam," meant something; it was a bloodline; it was human.

But the Narnians don't know this.

Frank and Helen sing.

As the first snow begins to fall, "Hark! the herald angels sing..."

As they wander through their land, "Rock of ages, cleft for me..."

"Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty..." early in the morning.

And the Narnians listen. They learn the words, learn the melodies, until, one day, they ask questions.

Just who is this Saviour who is mentioned in all their songs? How did he save Adam's race? And even more, who was Adam, that his flesh and bone may be prophesied even in their world?

So Frank and Helen stop. They think. Ponder, and consider.

They know the name Jesus. They know the name Aslan.

They know one as the Saviour.

They know both as Creator. They know both as King.

And Adam - well, are they not Adam? The Beginning, and the fallen, and the rulers of creation? And if Frank is Adam's flesh, and Helen is Adam's bone, then surely their children are as well, and the children of that other world - the distant one - where one little boy was called, "Son of Adam," by one Great Lion.

"What are the Sons of Adam and Daughters of Eve?" They are God's chosen people. They are the fallen, fallible flesh. They are the bendable, breakable bone. They are those who take from the Tree; who fall for the forbidden. They are those who greet the ground with humble hearts and shaking knees. They are those who lift their eyes and sing.

"How were they saved?" The only way. The most terrible way. By Love. (By blood.)

And slowly, the Narnians know. In time, perhaps, they forget, but they never forget the name of Adam - the race of Adam. The fighting, fragile flesh. The beloved, blessed bone. The Saved. The Redeemed. Bought by blood, they said. Freed by Love. It is They who were meant to rule.

Frank and Helen sing their hymns, and teach them to their children. They're not about Earth anymore, but they're still about God. They can feel it; can feel Him in the pillars and mountains and waves and stone.

That was the one question the Narnians didn't ask: "Who is He?" They knew. They always knew.

He is King.