'Music is the purest form of art,' she began without preamble. 'It has no language yet speaks to all at the deepest level, evokes a reaction from us even without wanting to. It is powerful and it is my duty to give you this power. Let me warn you, I do not for an instant believe you possess the creative or intellectual prowess to create melody, not for an instant. So I'll do my best to ensure you are passable so you don't embarrass me in the presence of Rajamata when she comes to review your skills. Is that clear?'

Ajiona only glared. Takshika interpreted her silence in whatever way she pleased and she chose to assume and believe that her charge was dumb.

'We will start with the veena.'

So the nightmare began. She was snappy, irritable and impatient as well as condescending. She didn't believe anyone could be a skilled player as she was and constantly told Ajiona so. To frustrate her, Ajiona pretended she was stupid and was constantly doing the opposite of her instructions. It was during this times Takshika showed her flair for dramatics. She would swoon, perform lengthy monologues and ask her servants to rub brahmi oil into her scalp all the while scolding Ajiona for being the cause of her headache. Her theatrics amused Ajiona to no end.

Her final tutor was Devashuni who instructed in her laws and ethics, philosophy. She had a long lean and hard face and she was the most formal of all her instructors.

With the amount of tutors milling in and out of her apartments, Ajiona barely had time for herself and was often exhausted when the day ended. Pragya and Mekhala who she regarded as friends of sort were back to perfunctory and their touch felt like duty. She felt lonelier than ever.

Bahubali was the first of the princes to talk to her. It was midday, Takshika had moved their lessons to one of the pavilions in the gardens because she thought being in the open air surrounded by the beauty of nature might help her dull brain understand better. Ajiona as usual did her best to frustrate her effort.

'No! NO!' she scolded. 'You pluck at the strings gently, not tug at it.' She put her hand to her head in a sign of despair; Ajiona did her best not to laugh.

'Perhaps the lady's hands are meant for swords than the delicacy of the veena,' somebody commented.

Both the teacher and the student turned towards the voice. It was Prince Amarendra Bahubali, standing on the threshold of the pavilion and smiling at them both. They bowed to him.

'I'm inclined to believe you yuvaraju,' she said demurely and heaved and heaved a sigh of long sufferance. 'Alas dear prince, I must persevere in her case' - don't say it - 'perhaps your presence here will improve her skills.' She said with a smile.

Amarendra Bahubali smiled and took his seat on one of the benches. Takshika motioned for her to play. Ajiona played as awful as ever, if not more, it lasted a minute before a screeching Takshika asked her to stop. Ajiona got the feeling if it had been only the two of them in the pavilion, she would have launched at her and clawed her eyes out. Takshika's ivory face was tight with anger and...Embarrassment! Feeling sympathy, Ajiona quietly plucked at the strings like she had been trying to get her to do all morning and produced a passable tune. It mollified Takshika if only a little.

She drew in great shuddering breaths and motioned to her servants to pack up the instruments.

'Till next time,' she said to Ajiona and managed to summon a smile for the prince, bowed and left, leaving her with the prince, his guards and her attendants.

'You embarrassed her,' the prince noted softly. 'Why?'

Ajiona met his candid gaze, looked away and shrugged. She was unsure about how to act around him. She had never met a prince before, talk less of having a conversation with him. Was there some sort of special protocol? Damnit! All Aadarshini's instruction had flown out of her skull; meanwhile the prince was waiting for a verbal answer.