05 | Peace Offering

Start from the beginning

A flash of memory tainted Jovan's thoughts. The previous seers were. . .

"You need not worry for that right now, Miss Myracle," he huffed, looking at the bonfire too. "I insist you to focus on your health and recovery."

Jovan's chest tightened. A lot had been lost before. He wasn't willing to make another sacrifice. And especially not of this girl. She'd come at a price he'd payed with his own conscience, his own moral and he wasn't losing her. Not when the realms and everything he loved was at stake.

His eyes began searching for Wil and Heldi. The forest wasn't safe, it hadn't been safe at all since they'd set out, and he needed more security, more gentries to guard the camp right before they entered the city.

"Did you sign a treaty?" Her voice was closer this time. "To end the War?"

Jovan looked in time to see her standing in front of him, frailer than ever, the golden light of the bonfire casting shadows on her hollowed cheeks. His brows drew closer ever so slightly at her form.

"How do you know?" He averted his gaze, bewildered at his own worry for her condition. She was eating ans sleeping well, but she still looked ghastly, weaker than the first time he'd seen her. What did the aaennines do to her?

"I was a part of the Queen's court," she replied softly, "I did learn a few things."

The War was over. And though, Rosaline actually played the biggest part in it, she did not need to know the whole truth. At least not at present. She wasn't strong enough to bear the truth of such betrayal anyway. She wouldn't understand his loyalty towards the King who'd destroyed her realm.

But he did wonder, if he told her the truth, whom would she resent more, him or his High King?

"It wasn't exactly a treaty, Miss Myracle," Jovan offered, lacing half-truth to his simple words. "You can call it a peace offering."

"An offering?" Her brows furrowed, weighing the meaning of the words. "What could it be?"

He cocked his head to the side. "Aaenna offered. Luckily, King Norikk agreed to it."

"Agreed to what?"

"That's not for you to know."

     The look in Rosaline's eyes could've smothered the fire burning at the centre of the clearing. Her golden eyes flared with anger and defiance and he expected a retort coming his way, but to his surprise, she simply nodded. That forlorn look returned to her eyes almost instantly and her shoulders sagged.

Jovan quickly turned on his feet. "You must excuse me now. I have matters to attend to."

It was better to leave. Rosaline gave him a bow of her head, as if in a daze or habit and turned to the fire. She'd done this for the first time, and a part of Jovan felt wrong to just leave it at that.

     Yes, she was a seer who probably commanded magnificent power and the Donwans felt threatened by it, hence they imprisoned her. But why her? She was so... fragile and harmless. Even with power, what true threat would a single woman pose to a family of royals? She didn't have much favour in the Aaennine court either. So, he quietly wondered about all the reason that could've landed her there.

     But no matter how harmless, he couldn't trust her.

His eyes roamed back to her and she still looked worried, drowned beneath the weight of some huge realisation or secret.

"Miss Myracle?" he called, looking over his shoulder.

She looked up from her fidgeting fingers. He caught a glimpse of blue and red marks around her wrists, but she hid them quickly. Her eyes were wide, gentle. "Yes?"