Of course, nothing ever really goes your way.

"Between the 16 members of the four winning teams... We'll have a formal tournament! A series of... One-on-one battles!!" Midnight exclaimed, earning a deflated sigh from you in the crowd of students. Why did you have to go and be on a winning team? Why couldn't you have just lost? 'Congratulations, [M/n].' You thought grumpily. 'Now you get to relive bad memories in front of your new friends. Hooray.'

Midnight explained that the matches would be decided by drawing lots, and that before the tournament starts you could all participate in festivities. You were thinking about opting to stay out of those, just as Ojiro raised his hand.

"I'd... Like to drop out." He said. You perked up slightly. You could do that?! A few people expressed their concerns, but Ojiro explained that he couldn't remember anything that happened during the cavalry battle and that it was likely due to the purple-haired boy's quirk. You glanced over to him for the second time that day, seeing that he had turned to face away from most of the crowd.

Another boy who was on Ojiro's team in the cavalry battle also opted to withdraw, and before you could do the same Midnight cracked her whip and accepted the two boys' withdrawals, then proceeding to invite two members from the cavalry battle into the tournament.

"Anyway, here are the matchups!" Midnight called out, and you begrudgingly turned to the board to see who you had to fight. ((this is where things get different for the sake of development my bois))

[M/n] vs Shinsou

Kaminari vs Ashido

Shiozaki vs Tokoyami

Iida vs Hatsume

Todoroki vs Aoyama

Midoriya vs Yaoyorozu

Tetsutetsu vs Kirishima

Uraraka vs Bakugou

Shinsou? That was the only person you hadn't seen, so you bet it was-

"You're [M/n], aren't you?" You flinched when a low voice came from directly behind you. Turning your head, you saw the same boy with purple hair glowering down at you. You kept your face stoic and nodded. "You were good in the first event. Shame there's not gonna be any robots to help you this time." Why was he provoking you all of a sudden? Did he want a reaction? You shrugged at him.

"I don't need robots." A wicked grin suddenly spread across his face, and you cocked an eyebrow. "I wanted to talk to you, actually." As quickly as the grin appeared, it faltered and dropped, and his glare returned.

"About what?"

"That time when you came to my class- you looked me dead in the eyes while that guy was strangling me and walked away." You said nonchalantly, seeing his glare intensify. You knew you wouldn't get a straight answer out of him if he thought you were trying to expose him, so you lightened your tone a little. "I'm not mad or anything, I just wanted to know why you didn't help?" He said nothing for a moment, just continued to glare at you before turning away.

"None of your business." He spat as he followed some of the other students out of the stadium to avoid the festivities. You raised an eyebrow at his strange behaviour, before feeling a hand on your shoulder. That hand turned out to be a tail- you realised after seeing Ojiro standing next to you.

"[M/n], I just wanted to warn you about that guy before you fight him." You hummed as a signal for him to continue. "If he talks to you during the battle, don't answer him. I think he has some sort of mind control quirk. The last thing I remember in the cavalry battle is answering a question from him, so I'm assuming he uses your voice to control you. If you want to win, don't speak to him." He said, to which you nodded slowly. That explained the scary face he pulled when you answered back to him. Ojiro pat your shoulder with his tail and went about his day, leaving you to your thoughts as to how you would go about beating him.