That Darned Laugh

A/N: I wonder how long the average chapter is? *looks it up* oh. Well then this chapter is 1k words away from being as long as the average chapter which is 1k more than I've been writing. Also sorry if Megs seems a big out of character in the second to last scene, I had some trouble with that part. Might go back and fix it later. 

It's so good to be home. No responsibilities, no chaos, no... Weirdos who talk to light bulbs...

I have nothing to worry about at all... 

RRRIIIINNNNGGG

That is, until it's time to wake up.

So, a quick update: It's been about a week since... That incident. That was a pretty overwhelming experience, but after that life has been pretty normal!

I ended up finding a job! It pays well, the conditions are nice, and my boss already likes me! I'm not one to brag but I see a promotion in the near future.

Also, I don't have to worry about crazy supervillains at night because I have to drive to work. If I just briskly walk fast enough I can make it to the parking building in time before dark. Hooray, safety!

Everything's going perfect and according to plan...

~~~

"You're fired."

"What? Why?"

Fired? Within a week of being hired? And after my boss literally told me I was the child he never had just yesterday? (and he has six kids so that's really saying something)

He adjusts his plaque on the wall and takes a seat in his swivel chair. He's hardly paying any attention to me.

"Well, as much as it pains me to say, I just can't have a criminal working for me."

"A-a criminal?"  What happened to me being one of his best workers?

"Oh, don't act like you don't know what you did. All those missing tools, the trashed workspaces; We just can't have that kind of work ethic."

"'That kind of work ethic?' I... I brought in my own tools, why would I steal someone else's? And the... my stuff should be stolen too! (And maybe if you called the cops once in a while...)"

"Oh, no. You're workspace is spic and span, with your old tools, just to add. Everything that's been stolen is entirely new."

"My tools aren't old, you duncebucket.."

"And that!" he points at me. "An attitude like that is not acceptable." He sighs. "I'm sorry, but I have to let you go. Please take your things and leave."

"Whatever," I scoff. "Who needs this dumb job anyways..."

Me.

I need this dumb job.

~~~

I leave that darned shop with all my stuff in a box. How could he fire me? I'm the best worker he's got! He said so himself.

I guess he was lying....

Don't worry, the parking building isn't too far. Only a couple of blocks. And then I have to go all the way to the top of the building. Yay... Oh well. It'll be smooth sailing from there.