"Sweetie, did Leia ever comment on your... Unusual etiquette?" Anakin's crinkled eyes widened in curiosity, his brows raising and forming an arch of amusement.

A soft chuckle escaped Rey's lips as a blush rose upon her face. "Yes, grandpa, she did. She said I needed to be more... Civilized. Less careless, and... uh... what was the word... barbaric. Huh. 'Course, I ate alone for more than a decade. I'm not used to such formalities... As you probably know, Jakku's typically hostile residents aren't exactly known for their manners. Growing up, I just wiped whatever stains onto either my clothes or the grease rags I had. Sand worked, too."

Anakin could not help but make a face of disgust. Memories of the foul planet of Tatooine flooded back into his fading mind. Cringing, he mumbled, "ugh. Sand. I don't like sand... I despise sand. Too coarse, too rough, too irritating..."

Luke let out a quiet chuckle. "It gets everywhere. Quite irritating indeed; in all honesty, it deserves your abhor, Father. Rey, how could you stand those grains slithering under your feet?"

"I didn't. Especially when it was midday and the sand was practically baking me alive. But hey, I lived through it." She gave an assuring smile towards her guardians, especially her grandfather, whose eyes burned in guilt and sympathy.

Everyone was quiet for a little while before Anakin lightened the mood with a ruffle of Rey's hair. "Well, I suppose my little girl is going to finally be taught table manners. Do not worry, my dear child, we all are from desert planets that did not stress adequate conduct. I fully understand your behavior."

It was then that Luke Skywalker saw his father's first wink in decades.

A contagious grin spread across the dilapidated man's features, contaminating Rey with its magic. Blushing even more, she reached across the table for another fish.

With a hoarse chuckle, Anakin's hand shakily pushed hers back. Oh. Oops, the former scavenger thought to herself as she watched her grandfather carefully grab the plate of sorted fishes and passing it to her direction.

Faded eyes thoughtfully scrutinized Rey's arms. "Please eat more, my dearest child. You are too skinny... Plus, staying at the table a bit longer may also hopefully help you adjust to the customs of more advanced civilizations in the galaxy."

Rey smiled, and picked up a "fork". (Well, she was pretty sure that's the name of the metal thing that she held in her hand.)

***

Rey watched in concern as Anakin tremblingly rose and staggered towards the unsophisticated sink to wash their dishes. "Would you like some help, Grandpa?"

Sluggishly, Anakin turned his head towards his granddaughter. "Thank you, sweetheart, but I believe I will be fine. I am not exactly bedridden at this moment." He turned back, placing the small stack of dishes into the sink.

Rey glanced at her father. "Your grandfather likes making himself useful," Luke had softly said, knowing Anakin would not hear. Then the man (or, legend) stood, moving to face towards the old man standing by the sink. "Father, I'll take Rey outside."

Anakin did not respond; his deafened ears could not pick up his son's voice over the sound of running water. Luke walked the short distance to where his father stood, and gently tapped the ancient man's sagging shoulder. "Father, Rey and I are going outside."

At the sudden voice that appeared from behind, Anakin jumped a little, before realizing it was his son. "Of course! Please do. Spend some time together. I apologize for my insensitive hearing."

"It's fine, Grandpa. Are you fine with being alone?"

"Hmm?" Anakin's face scrunched up in frustration. "I cannot hear you distinctly, sweetheart..." Using a nearby chair as a crutch, he shambled a few steps closer to his granddaughter. Rey patiently repeated, holding down Anakin's hand firmly to the top of the chair so he would not topple over.