The Search is Over [One-shot]

Magsimula sa umpisa

          You know, I’m wondering why he need to tell me his rank or honours or positions in this school. Well, at least I already have known somebody.

 Later on, we became best friends. He would always join me wherever I go.  He would always teach me some of the lessons I didn’t get. We are always together. Some of my classmates would even wonder if he’s my boyfriend.

          There’s an essay writing contest that will be held on our school. Jake encouraged me to join. So I did. We won the elimination round so we will be the one who will compete to the other schools in Manila. Jake and I would always remain to school and go home late cause we were preparing for the contest.

          One evening, it was raining very hard and Jake and I were trapped inside the school. We were about to go home when we found out that the gate of school was locked. We tried everything we could to open it but it couldn’t.

          I am very afraid that night so I cried. I’m happy that Jake was there to comfort me.

          “Stop crying Kirm. I’m here. I’ll tell you something. When I was a child, I’m always afraid of the dark and I always cry. My mother would hug me and comfort me. That’s what makes me stop crying,” Jake said. And so, he hugged me.

          That hug seems different. It’s different from a friendly hug. It’s very warm and that comforted me.

          When I got home, I kept thinking of what happened. I kept thinking of Jake. 

Jake’s POV

I’m Jake, sixteen years old. I’m a third year high school student now. I used to have many girlfriends. They call me playboy. For me, girls are just being played for fun. I used to collect many girls, hang out with my friends, and go to disco clubs.

          But no longer when I met Shane. Shane is a simple, prim, and a very beautiful girl. I courted her. For long 5 months of asking, she finally said yes. I’m very happy when she answered me. I can say that I was really changed. I stopped hanging out with some of my friends, and stopped dating many girls. She’s the only girl I loved seriously. My life revolved to her. Shane and I are always together. She taught me how to be a good man. We would always go to the library and read some books and sometimes go to mall, walk hand in hand and eat together.

          On our first anniversary, I asked her for a date. So, she agreed. I want to bring her to very nice and romantic restaurant. I went to her house and picked her. On our way, I was driving the car; she told me that she’s going to China and stay there with her family.

          “Jake, I hate to say this but I’m going to China with my family and stay there for good. I’m sorry. I hate to leave you but I really need to. I value you but I value my family more.”

          I was shocked and weakened. I lost control and the car moved in a zigzag way. I didn’t know that there’s a big truck in front of us and the car bumped. I lost my senses.

          I woke up inside a hospital.

          “Be thankful. You just had bruises. The girl who’s riding with you is found dead,” The doctor said.

          “Where is she?! I want to see her!!” I said.

          The doctor led me to the room where the girl was. Shane is dead. I can’t accept it. I kept on blaming myself for what had happened. 

After that, I tried to move on. I changed myself. Before, I used to wear cool shades and but now, I bought some nerd glasses. I even had braces on my teeth even if it’s not bad. I focused on my studies. I became the president of math and English clubs and even received many honours. I’m not that cool guy anymore. I never courted any girl.