07 | A Forgotten Offer

Start from the beginning

     Crown Prince Julek Donwan took a step ahead and gently grasped her wrist. "Come with me." He tilted his head towards the balcony behind them and she followed silently.

     He let her walk in first and then stepped in, closing the door behind him. "Now, tell me, my lady. How can I be of service?" His voice was gentle, noble.

     "I had a vision." Time was of essence. She could not afford to waste any.

     Julek's eyes widened, then relaxed. Of all people, she'd chosen to tell him. But he'd also been doubtful for she managed to escape circumstances only someone who knew about them would. Like the time she managed to evade the other courtiers' stupid conspiracies or the time she forced him to leave her side and shortly after, his royal parents appeared. There was one time she didn't appear for days and stayed in her room, faking an illness because Jina's relatives were visiting and they were anything but kind.

     "What did you see?" He asked, his face neutral.

     "A war," she said without hesitation. "Crimson lands, dark waters and a furious sky. Black banners."

     "What upon the banners?" He asked, taking a step closer to her.

     Rosaline gulped, engulfed by the smell of musk and vanilla. "They were black, and a bird was carved upon them. They came from the north, raining hell."

     He seemed to think, his golden brows creased with tension. "What else?"

     She shook her head, "I don't remember after that."

     It was a lie, but she doubted herself because perhaps she'd actually dreamt of a tall man riding across a dark, dry field upon his massive horse and offering her a hand. Not Julek, or his parents or his councilmen, but her. She didn't remember his face, or what he looked like, but he didn't seem hostile. Perhaps she'd dreamt of her late father.

      Out of her minute reverie, Rosaline looked up to meet Julek's gaze. It was tensed and distant, yet warm.

      She was grateful of him. He seemed to be the only person in his place who didn't resent her, didn't judge her. Dark thoughts graced her mind and she shook them away. If only she could leave this place, leave behind Jina and her mindless courtiers. Coming here had been a mistake. But she didn't have a choice back then.

     Julek hummed, then gave her a curt nod. "I'll see what I can do. If you've seen something like this, I'm sure it'll eventually turn real." His voice was grim, low enough for only her to hear. Something shimmered in his eyes, something like a secret, but it was gone in a heartbeat. "Don't worry, I'll make sure your dreams never turn real this time."

     He raised a hand gently and Rosaline had to fight the urge to flinch.

     He might have noticed something for his eyes creased again. "Are you well?" He asked, grazing her cheek with soft finger. "You look pale."

     She stared at him, at how beautiful he looked as the settling sum casted glows of gold and orange upon his ivory face. His golden hair—darker than hers—were slicked back, pale blue eyes holding her gaze. He truly was the Golden Prince.

     She nodded, another lie. "I am."

     He hummed softly, taking another step ahead. Rosaline retreated to the railing edge, heat rushing up her neck and nestling into her ears.

     Very gently, he twirled a stray strand of her hair around his fingers, moving his face closer to her as he trapped her between his arms and the high railing.

      "I know you don't always tell me the truth," he whispered. "I know you hide more than you say. I know how much of a risk you took in telling me about your gift. I respect that, and rest assured, I will take this secret to my grave. But, I would love it if you shared parts of your life with me, Rose. Your pain, your joy. I want you to share."

     She stayed silent, enamoured by the way he looked at her, with warmth and affection. As if he truly was happy to see her.

     If only she could tell him that she felt the same.

     He brought the strand of her hair to his lips, kissing it. "I wish I could tell my parents about you."

     Rosaline looked down at her hands, fingers slightly bruised from all the useless stitching Jina made her do. "You shouldn't. They'll never accept what we have, Jul."

Friendship? Love? She didn't know what they shared, only that his sight made her heart flutter and he made her want to burst with happiness.

     At that, he chuckled and let go of her hair. He dipped his head and kissed her forehead, caressing her face with his fingers. "You need not worry for that, my dear. I've planned a future for us, for you and me, far away from the eyes of this court."

     She smiled and despite the fact that he was so close to her she could've bursted, she felt joy flooding her hollow chest. Perhaps it was love hidden behind the veils of a kind friendship.

     Perhaps, with the blessing of the Goddess, she'd find happiness.

     "Hence, I ask you, my love, my dearest Rose," he said, looking right into her soul, "Would you like to share not parts but your life with me? Just us two, happy? Will you marry me?"

•••••

Oh well, I hate flashbacks. But, I hope you liked this one. I thought I needed to add this because it spoke more of Rosaline's present behaviours.
I hope I'm making things clear.
Will update soon.
Vote, comment and share.
Shirina