Chapter Twenty-One!

Start from the beginning

I ran inside, running along the driveway after Heather’s car. I saw the door to Heather’s car open when the car had stopped.

“Heather!” I screamed through the heavy rain so she could hear me. I saw the butler come out with a massive umbrella. I don’t think I ever saw an umbrella that big before.

I was going to give him a look for being so heartless and refusing to let me in but that would be too mean. He was only following rules so he wouldn’t get fired. I gave him a warm smile instead and he kind of seemed shocked. I don’t know if he was shocked by the state I was in, probably looking like a cat right after a shower or that I smiled at him despite his refusal to let me in, even if it was pouring like this outside. Or maybe it was that he was shocked that I stayed, even though the weather was absolutely terrible. There are a lot of reasons why he could be shocked but those are the main ones that sounded reasonable.

When Heather heard me, she turned around. I thought I saw her smirk at the state it was in but that was probably my crazy imagination.

I then saw her gasp, her hand covering her mouth as her eyes widened. “Addy! I’m so sorry! I totally forgot.”

I stuck my hand inside my pocket and yanked out the paper for the creative writing assignment. It was wet but the ink didn’t smudge or anything so it was readable.

“Here.” I handed it to her and she took it.

“Do you want to come inside to dry off?” She offered.

I shook my head. “No, it’s okay. I’m going home right now. See you tomorrow Heather! I hope you feel better if you were sick!” I bid adieu as I walked back down the driveway and through the gates.

I heard thunder and it was pretty loud. I’m terrified of thunder by the way. I wasn’t so scared of the quite rumbles but the loud ones have the ability to increase my heart rate by tenfold. I wouldn’t be so scared if I wasn’t alone but if I was, I would start crying since I hate how it’s so unexpected. I don’t know, it may sound stupid but I just picture scary people-from all the scary movies Mike forced me to watch- in my head and it just terrifies me. Maybe that didn’t make sense but simply said, thunder isn’t very lovely.

I ran to the bus stop and reached for my pocket to get out my metro card but it wasn’t there. “Uhh, never mind.” I told the bus driver as I got off the bus and walked back to Heather’s house, retracing my steps in hopes to find my metro. I couldn’t find it and I was starting to freak out. I didn’t want to bother Heather by asking her to drive me home. I didn’t want to dirty her car either, since it was a Aston Martin and I was soaking wet. If I damaged it, I wouldn’t be able to pay for it.

I ran back to the bus stop and waited for the next bus. When the bus arrived, I asked the driver if I can get a free ride since I lost my metro. The guy was in a grumpy mood and he just said a straight out no. Even the passengers looked shocked at his response. I stood there, hoping some friendly person would offer me their metro car or even some money but no one said anything. They just stared at me, making me feel self-conscious.

I sighed and got off the bus. In the sky, I saw a pretty scary lightening. In response, I squeezed my eyes shut and covered my ears for the sound of the boom but it didn’t come. I uncovered my ears tentatively and opened back my eyes hesitantly. Just at that moment, a loud thundering boom filled my ears, scaring the flappers out of me.

The sky was really dark and I was cold and alone. The deafening sound of thunder surrounded me and I was terrified. I was outside in the pouring rain, without a way to get home. It takes thirty minutes for the bus to get here from my house so it would take thirty minutes to go back. Does that mean it would take about an hour to walk back home? Heather’s house was pretty far from mine.