1- The First Night

I walked quickly across the quiet campus that was going to be my new home. The wind was blowing lightly through my loose bloodred hair, making it flow out behind me. The serene atmosphere of the school grounds was a stark comparison to the busy aura of my old school in tokyo.

     Though the main gates had been a bit much, the grounds of Cross Academy were well kept, with many trees and other plants dotting the landscape. I loved the old time feel of the buildings, and all of the nature. It was the opposite of the chaotic streets I had grown used to.

     There was one thing that was the same as back home, unfortunately. I felt like I was being watched.

      I supressed a sigh, and took a sip of my warm coffee as I continued to walk twoards the headmaster's office to get my schedule. It was probably just my imagination. I mean, after all, I did tend to overthink things. ALL the time.

      I smiled slightly, remembering how the last time I had gone to the movies with my friend Kya, it had taken so long for me to make up my mind that she had just decided what we were seeing herself. Then dragged me out the door because I couldn't decide which jacket to wear.

     I entered the main building and wandered the hallways untill I saw a sign above a door that said "headmaster" As I approached it, I heard a conversation coming from inside the office.

     "...that's why I do what I do! That's why I created the night class!" A cheery voice chirped.

     "I'm out of here." Another person replied coldly.

     "Zero..." A female voice trailed off

     The door to the office swung open, revealing a boy about my age with silver hair and violet eyes. He was wearing a black school uniform, and eyed me suspiciously.

     "Who are you?" He asked rather bluntly, not seeming to care much for formalities.

     In fact he had a look of distrust, or even hate in his eyes when he looked at me. And I just met him. Wow, Make that the world record for offending someone.

    That didn't mean that I couldn't try a nicer approach though. I took a deep breath.

     "My name is Rina Ayame, and i'm a transfer student from Tokyo. I'm going to be starting class here tomorrow." I informed him pleasantly with an innocent smile.

     He looked like he had tasted something sour.

     "Oh Zero is that the new student?" Called the same cheery voice from inside the office. "Please send her in!"

     The boy, named Zero apparently, opened the door to reveal a small, but cozy looking office. It had plain cream colored walls, a large window, and a brown desk that was snapped in half for some reason. I entered the room and tried to resist the urge to sweat drop at the strange sight.

     In front of the desk stood a man with blonde hair tied back in a ponytail, and a blanket draped around his shoulders.

     A young girl with shoulder length brown hair and the same uniform as Zero stood beside him.

     "Ah, yes. I had heard that we were getting a new student tomorrow!" The man greeted me pleasantly. "I'm the headmaster here, and this is my daughter Yuki."

     "Oh, Nice to meet you!" Yuki said to me with a bow.

     "Likewise" I replied with a shy smile. "I'm Rina Ayame."

     "She's a new student, but you didn't mention what class she's going to be in." Zero stated coldly.

     Why did it matter so much to him what class i'd be in? Did he not want me to end up in his class for some reason?

     "Rina will be starting in the day class tomorrow morning." The headmaster told Zero pointedly, before turning to face me.

     Seemilgly no longer interested, Zero left without saying another word, and slammed the door behind him. I stared at the closed door, and tilted my head in thought. He was so odd.

     Not only was he angry at apparently everything, there was also something off about his scent. It definately wasn't human, but he wasn't a ghoul either. It was just wrong. And he hated me from the second that he met me. Could he possibly know what I was?

   I silently made a decision to find out more about him later, before putting it out of my mind.

     "Here's your schedule and uniform by the way!" The headmaster said, breaking me away from my thoughts, and handing me a uniform and a list of classes.

"Thank you headmaster!" I stated cheerfully, before proceeding to find my dorm room number on the schedule sheet.

"No problem!" He replied. "I hope that you will like going to school here as much as you liked your old school! Yuki can show you to your room now if you're ready."

"Of course." I said before turning to Yuki. "Lead the way." I added with a closed eyed smile.

     She nodded, and led me into the hall. As I followed her out of the room, I smelled more strange scents, similar Zero's. Definitely not human.

     A small smile found it's way onto my face. Perhaps my stay at Cross Academy will be more fun than I had originally thought.

     ~ Later that night 🌙
     I awoke to the sharp smell of blood flowing into my room through my half open window. My senses immediately sharpened at the familiar scent, and the single kakugan in my left eye activated. I clutched at my eye, trying to calm myself down through deep, slow breaths.

     Once I regained my composure, I sniffed the air again. The smell was almost gone, so there probably hadn't been much blood to begin with. A student had probably just slipped and grazed their knee or something. The only reason I had even noticed it was because of how long it had been since I had eaten anything.

     I sighed before getting up to rifle through my bag. I searched through my belongings until I found a small glass jar of brown sugar cubes from Anteiku, and popped two of them straight into my mouth. I had finished my coffee from earlier, and was too tired to find a place to make more in the middle of the night.

     Feeling my kakugan deactivate, I sighed in relief, before crawling back into bed and flinging the covers over my head. I would have to eat soon, but my problems, and the rest of the world for that matter, could wait until I got some decent sleep.

I'll show you a sweet dream next night.

A/N: Hi everyone! I hope that you liked the first chapter of my story! Feel free to leave comments telling me what you think of it! I love both Tokyo ghoul and Vampire Knight so i can't wait to see how this goes! ( note to self, reign in the exclamation points. 😅 )