Chapter 5 - Hateno Village and Hyrule Castle

Start from the beginning

When he reached Kakariko Village, he dismounted and left Epona to graze while he continued into town. He strolled over to Impa's house first. There were still two guards on duty. Impa was a Yiga Clan target, though nothing much had been seen of any Yiga in quite some time. Both guards recognized him.

"Master Link, welcome! Lady Impa gave us instructions to admit you whenever you're here, so please go right on in."

"Thank you, Cado," said Link.

Link went up the steps and knocked on the door. He heard Impa's voice telling him to come in.

"Link, this is a nice surprise," said Impa. "Have you eaten yet? Paya and I were just about to have lunch. It's only some rice and fish, but you are most welcome. We have enough for three."

"Thank you, Impa. I would like that," said Link. "And hello, Paya. It's nice to see you."

"Hello, Master Link," said Paya. "It's nice to see you, too."

He noticed Paya had gotten over her stuttering in the past two years. Good for her! Paya handed Impa and him a bowl of rice and fish along with a set of chopsticks, and he thanked her. Then they sat down near Impa, and Paya served them both tea, then herself.

"What brings you here, Link," said Impa.

"Just stopping on the way to the castle," said Link. "How are both of you?"

"I'm getting ancient," said Impa. "If my sister Purah ever perfects that rune of hers, maybe I'll consider trying it."

"I am well as always, Master Link," said Paya. "Thank you for asking."

"Speaking of my sister, she told me some of what has been happening," said Impa. "So, you traveled back in time to see the Zora Champion Mipha."

"News certainly travels fast!" said Link. "Yes, I was able to see her by using a Timeshift Stone."

"You certainly are persistent," said Impa. "That's your nature, I know. But I worry about Purah and her work, and so should you! She can be a bit reckless sometimes. I warned her again about the danger of time travel, and she promised me she would be cautious. I gather you cannot yet find it in your heart to move on and accept all that happened?"

"I'm sorry, but no, I can't," said Link. "Not unless I know I've tried everything, and Dr. Purah says there is no hope. But it's not just for me. If our plan works, all of Hyrule will be better off."

"I pray your heart will find peace, Master Link," said Paya. "You have done so much for all of us. You deserve now to live your life in happiness. I pray you will find that happiness soon."

"Thank you, Paya," said Link. "I appreciate your prayers and always have. It is kind of you to care what happens to me. And I hope this prayer of yours is answered as well as were your prayers for our success."

They spoke some more of what had been happening. When the meal was finished, it was time to leave.

"Give my best wishes to Her Majesty," said Impa. "And, Link, I know I've said this before, but keep your hopes in check. It is fine to dream of wishes coming true, and we all do that. But it is wise also to consider that not all wishes do come true in life. Think of all you have and do not dream your life away."

"And be well Master Link," said Paya.

"Thank you both," said Link. "I understand, Impa. And I will say hello for you."

He found Epona, and they continued toward Hyrule Castle. Impa hadn't been too hard on him this time. She used to be much more forceful about the need to move on from his obsession with the past. Perhaps the fact Purah was making progress on time travel had tempered her outlook.