All eyes in the class focus on the back row. And so do mine. As I see every member of their group stare back in horror, I realize something. Something terrible.

I just so happen to be in the back row too.

After class, I approach Mr. Bennett's desk. He looks annoyed and tired and furious all at once.

"Uh, Mr. Bennett," I clear my throat.

"What?" He asks, not paying the slightest bit of attention to me.

"I, uh, I am in the back row, you see. And I didn't think I did anything wrong, sir," I explain.

"Look, I'm tired, I want to go home, but I don't want to deal with this. You got detention. So did everyone else. Deal with it," he says, not looking up from his stack of papers.

"But-"

"No. No buts. I'll see you back here after school," he says.

And I take that as an invitation to leave the classroom.

As always, Caleb is waiting for me outside the door. He smiles at me, and I can't even offer one back in return. He looks at me confused.

"What?" He asks.

"What what?"

"What was that all about?" He asks.

"Oh, you know, just being forced to go to detention for a week because I did absolutely nothing," I explain. "Not to mention the fact that I've only got the stupid group of cheddar rolls for company."

Cheddar rolls, mine and Caleb's name for the popular kids. Don't ask. It was freshman year, and we all know how unspeakably strange freshmen are.

"Really?" He looks at me in disbelief.

"Yeah," I confirm, sighing. I push a lock of my long blond hair out of my face and sigh again.

"Hey, lets go eat, okay? May as well feed the monster of a stomach you've got," Caleb says.

"You've really got a way with talking to girls, you know."

He laughs. And we head to the cafeteria because he is actually right. My monster of a stomach is asking to be fed.

**********************************

"Sit," Mr. Bennett says. There are grunts in reply but everyone manages to get into a seat. "You're here for an hour. I can keep you for more, so I suggest you stay out of trouble. I am needed in the next door class, but the I am not deaf. I can still hear you. If I come here and find one pencil shaving out of place, I will not be happy. Understood?"

There is a murmur of agreement and Mr. Bennett leaves.

And the talking begins. The Cheddar Rolls all burst out in laughter. I am sitting there silently, staring at them, eyebrows drawn together in curiosity.

"Oh my gosh, you remember how Danny was all like, 'I never made out with Jenny. Never. How could you think that?' and Shelby actually pulls out a video, and- hah! Priceless!" Drew says between deep laughs.

"I remember that! I have never seen Danny that pi-issed!" Shelby exclaims.

I continue to watch the group in silence, having nothing better to do. Luke laughing, clutching his stomach. Missy next to him, arms crossed, scowling with annoyance that I assume is still from earlier, with Shelby by her side. Danny and Drew side by side across from them, turned around in their seat, talking to Karen. When my gaze falls on Brendan, I find eyes staring back into mine.

"Who are you?" he demands.

I blank for a moment before realizing that he's speaking to me. I blink. And blink again, unable to find any words. Letters are jumbled in my brain as I stare into the bright green eyes.